Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,941

1 members and 2,940 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Noob humidity question

Here i am trying to do my first bp setup and thinking of humidity. When we say 50 to 60%, am I right to assume this is only for the bottom 2 or 3 inches of the floor space in the enclosure. Its not ambiant humidity right ?

Envoyé de mon MAR-LX3A en utilisant Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    I think for some it is "ambient" as some mention misting to raise the humidity, but since the humidity is concentrated in the substrate and no one keeps snakes that
    can fly -I'm pretty sure? - I think the biggest concern IS for the humidity reading on the floor. Are you asking because you're using some type of overhead heat
    that drastically lowers the humidity near the top of the enclosure? Good question, I can't recall anyone asking that before. If we did a poll you might find the answers
    that people give are rather divided, but as long as your humidity is good near the floor I wouldn't worry about it. Especially since you're talking about a ball python, not a Brazilian rainbow boa, etc.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-21-2020 at 09:45 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Mike Beaulieu (01-21-2020)

Thanks

Re: Noob humidity question

Yes, thats exactly why I am asking ! I'm building my setup using my old beardy's wood enclosure and its heated from the top by a CHE. I am debating the purchase of a RHP but honestly, the CHE seems to be doing good ont this test. The ambient humidity is below 50% above half the viv but if I put the probe on the substrate or slighty above, its around 60%. That's why the question came to me. I was also thinkling my BP wouldn't be the flying species so it makes sens ! I guess the only downside to using a CHE if my temps are good will be having to water my substrate every 2 or 3 days.

Thanks
    And if there's enough room or if you're still in doubt, I'd offer a third hide with high humidity (damp sphagnum moss).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thats a great idea ! I will but a damp hide in the middle because there is plenty space for 3 hides since its 37" x 18" 1/2 (interior).

Out of curiousity, how big do hides for adult pythons have to be ? I ask because I know they like to be snuggled !

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Beaulieu For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Beaulieu View Post
    Thats a great idea ! I will but a damp hide in the middle because there is plenty space for 3 hides since its 37" x 18" 1/2 (interior).

Out of curiousity, how big do hides for adult pythons have to be ? I ask because I know they like to be snuggled !
    I can't really answer that because all adult BPs aren't the same size... Knowing the gender would help some, but all snakes grow their whole life, & even though they slow down as older adults, some just get bigger than others. Hides* aren't a big expense & I'd go bigger...don't forget you have to leave room for that moist substrate, & you can always add more substrate to make it cozier. I truly get a kick out of watching my snakes with their humid-hides...they really appear to enjoy them, & seem to be especially attracted to the smell of damp moss. *I usually use large plastic food containers with snap-off lids...they come in all sizes, even 'cake-size'- and I cut a doorway into the top. For a humid hide, you don't want the bottom open like with regular hides, as the moisture will spread thru-out your enclosure...you want it contained.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-21-2020 at 11:00 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I can't really answer that because all adult BPs aren't the same size... Knowing the gender would help some, but all snakes grow their whole life, & even though they slow down as older adults, some just get bigger than others. Hides* aren't a big expense & I'd go bigger...don't forget you have to leave room for that moist substrate, & you can always add more substrate to make it cozier. I truly get a kick out of watching my snakes with their humid-hides...they really appear to enjoy them, & seem to be especially attracted to the smell of damp moss. *I usually use large plastic food containers with snap-off lids...they come in all sizes, even 'cake-size'- and I cut a doorway into the top. For a humid hide, you don't want the bottom open like with regular hides, as the moisture will spread thru-out your enclosure...you want it contained.
    Ohhhh...that's a great idea. Thanks for all the help !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Beaulieu View Post
    Ohhhh...that's a great idea. Thanks for all the help !
    Any time...you're welcome. I'm all for keeping our snakes "happy".

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Let us know when your snake goes into shed ... there are many tips and ideas to help at that time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Mike Beaulieu (01-22-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Let us know when your snake goes into shed ... there are many tips and ideas to help at that time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Much appreciated. For now I am fine tuning the viv before I buy the bp.I am taking my time on this one.

I am happy because, my substrate (cypress +coconut) seems to be holding humidity well enough for the viv to be stable for 24h at least. now its only a matter of making sure temps are adequate.

Envoyé de mon MAR-LX3A en utilisant Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Beaulieu For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (01-22-2020)