Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,919

2 members and 2,917 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

National Weather Service warns of falling iguanas in Florida -CNN

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/21/weath...rnd/index.html

(CNN)As the coldest air of the season spreads across the Eastern US, even some southern states are feeling the chill.

From Louisiana to the Carolinas, even down through Florida, temperatures are averaging 10 to 15 degrees below normal.
    Freeze warnings and hard freeze warnings are in effect across Florida and Georgia through Wednesday morning.
    Tuesday afternoon, the National Weather Service in Miami issued a rare forecast regarding cold temperatures but it was for iguanas. Yes, you read that correctly.

I - guan - as
    "Don't be surprised if you see iguanas falling from the trees tonight," tweeted the Miami National Weather Service office.
    NWS Miami
    @NWSMiami

Jan 21 - This isn't something we usually forecast, but don't be surprised if you see Iguanas falling from the trees tonight as lows drop into the 30s and 40s. Brrrr! #flwx #miami

12:42 PM - Jan 21, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

1,083 people are talking about this

The concern for people in South Florida is that these iguanas often sleep in trees, so when their bodies go dormant, they appear to fall from the sky onto streets, cars, pools, or even people walking around. And since iguanas are large -- adult males can reach 5 feet in length, and weigh up to 20 pounds -- this can be dangerous if one lands on top of you.
    The invasive species can't handle cold temperatures very well because they are cold-blooded. In general, iguanas begin to get sluggish or lethargic once the temperature drops below 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Once the temperature drops below 45 degrees Fahrenheit the iguanas go into a dormant or cold-stunned state. They appear to be dead, but they are not. They remain breathing with critical body functions still operating.
    It is their body's way of protecting them until the temperature warms up back up above 50 degrees.
    If those temperatures remain in the 40s for periods over eight hours, a significant number of those iguanas will die, especially the smaller ones.

Frozen iguanas fall out of trees in Florida 01:32

"The temperature threshold for when iguanas begin to go into a dormant state depends greatly on the size of the iguana," explains Ron Magill, communications director for Zoo Miami. "Generally speaking, the larger the iguana, the more cold it can tolerate for longer periods."
    He also demonstrates how even though extended periods of air temperatures in the 40s could lead to the demise of some iguanas. Many iguanas in South Florida have adapted to going deep into burrows where they stay insulated from the cold. They tend to also live close to large bodies of water, which tend to be warmer than the air temperatures, which help them survive short cold snaps.
    Get more weather news from around the world

Not everyone is concerned about the well-being of these iguanas, though. They are considered an invasive species, so some people are looking forward to an opportunity to rid their yards of these reptiles.
    "I do know that there are several iguana hunters that are looking forward to this upcoming cold front as it will certainly facilitate them removing these invasive reptiles from the South Florida environment as they will not be able to run away!" Magill told CNN.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (01-22-2020)

Thanks

Re: National Weather Service warns of falling iguanas in Florida -CNN

I told this story to my eleven year old niece this morning and she thought it was hilarious that lizards could fall out of the sky onto people.

On a serious note: I know we're all reptile lovers here, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Being that they're invasive, it may help clear the field as bit.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Alien (01-22-2020),Bogertophis (01-22-2020),Craiga 01453 (01-22-2020)

Thanks
    As a lifelong Floridian, I am encouraging everyone I know to LEAVE this invasive species alone if they fall!! Some yahoo a few years ago rounded up about 40 of them and "saved" them. So frustrating.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to O'Mathghamhna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-22-2020),Craiga 01453 (01-22-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    I wonder what affect this weather will have on the invasive Burms in Florida?
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-22-2020),Craiga 01453 (01-22-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    I told this story to my eleven year old niece this morning and she thought it was hilarious that lizards could fall out of the sky onto people.

On a serious note: I know we're all reptile lovers here, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Being that they're invasive, it may help clear the field as bit.
    It does sound funny when you're 11, but if you parked your car under a tree you might find it with a broken windshield & a badly-injured iguana in the driver's seat...
    Or if you're really unlucky, you yourself might be injured, even killed, by a falling iguana of sufficient size...not really so funny after all.

That's actually what I was thinking...they mostly make terrible "pets" and there's very few suitable homes to rescue them, but this is a perfect opportunity to euthanize the unwanted invaders in a fairly "kind" way (while they're incapacitated). I'm a reptile lover like the rest of you, but they're invasive non-native species that negatively impact our native species in Florida, so this cold snap is an opportunity to reduce their numbers.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-22-2020 at 12:53 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

O'Mathghamhna (01-23-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    It doesn't look like the freezing temps are going to make it as far south as the Everglades.
    Last edited by bcr229; 01-22-2020 at 01:14 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-22-2020),Reinz (01-22-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Burmese are pretty hardy. I bet if it was only a day or two most would survive. I don't care how many people hunt them either if you leave 1 breeding pair its over. I like Burmese also but they are terrible for the native species. But I think they are here to stay?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alien For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-22-2020),Reinz (01-22-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    ...and all I have falling from my trees is snow...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-22-2020)