Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,751

0 members and 2,751 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,034
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jeremymichels
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I agree with others here, stay away from facebook animal groups. Not only are they toxic and bottomless holes, but they will only fuel your rage against humanity. haha my 2 cents.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Beaulieu For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2020),Craiga 01453 (01-22-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Soaking: controversy?

I hate Facebook .... it’s far too clustered for my ordered, logic mind and it’s resulted in so many great forums dying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-22-2020)

Thanks
    The warm, damp pillowcase method has always helped me with stuck sheds of rescues. Soak a pillowcase in warm water and wring it out, then let the BP in the pillowcase for about 15 minutes. It may take a few tries if you have a really bad stuck shed, but it usually works like a charm with minimal stress to the snake.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to O'Mathghamhna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-22-2020),Craiga 01453 (01-22-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by O'Mathghamhna View Post
    The warm, damp pillowcase method has always helped me with stuck sheds of rescues. Soak a pillowcase in warm water and wring it out, then let the BP in the pillowcase for about 15 minutes. It may take a few tries if you have a really bad stuck shed, but it usually works like a charm with minimal stress to the snake.
    Then let it wriggle around in the middle of a wrapped up , very damp rough textured towel ..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-22-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fasfer View Post
    So, I recently got a new BP. I soaked said BO to rehydrate him and to help with the shed (but my main priority was the hydration).

I posted about it in a Facebook group and now I’m being called a terrible keeper. I didn’t even know this was controversial or a no-no to so many people?!

Does this actually make me a bad keeper? And why is this a controversy I had no idea about?
    I’m not gonna bother getting too involved in this but I will say that ‘soaking’ does SEEM to be more acceptable in the uk than in the States ..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (01-22-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hydration through soaking the reptile via its cloaca is not proven science. That is a common practice among bearded dragon keepers. A reptile vet tested that idea and the result was it made no difference, but additional testing and large sample is needed for further confirmation. A turtle does breathe through its cloaca in water, but keep in mind that turtles, lizards and snakes have been evolving separately from a common ancestor for thousands of years...

I have seen snakes drink more than lizards though, and it is already pretty uncommon to see a snake drink (If they were, because ball pythons are nocturnal, it would be at night while you slept). And soaking can be stressful for any snake not meant for water. Most snakes get their hydration from their prey anyway. Provide a water bowl, keep the water clean and make sure your snake eats. Soak only because of stuck shed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    Hydration through soaking the reptile via its cloaca is not proven science. That is a common practice among bearded dragon keepers. A reptile vet tested that idea and the result was it made no difference, but additional testing and large sample is needed for further confirmation. A turtle does breathe through its cloaca in water, but keep in mind that turtles, lizards and snakes have been evolving separately from a common ancestor for thousands of years...

I have seen snakes drink more than lizards though, and it is already pretty uncommon to see a snake drink (If they were, because ball pythons are nocturnal, it would be at night while you slept). And soaking can be stressful for any snake not meant for water. Most snakes get their hydration from their prey anyway. Provide a water bowl, keep the water clean and make sure your snake eats. Soak only because of stuck shed.
    In the uk they advise soaking for any dehydrated snakes .. I can confirm that it can make a tremendous difference from first hand experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12