Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,819

3 members and 2,816 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Soaking: controversy?

So, I recently got a new BP. I soaked said BO to rehydrate him and to help with the shed (but my main priority was the hydration).

I posted about it in a Facebook group and now I’m being called a terrible keeper. I didn’t even know this was controversial or a no-no to so many people?!

Does this actually make me a bad keeper? And why is this a controversy I had no idea about?
    Fasfer
    "God put the good things in life on the other side of fear..."
    -Will Smith

Thanks

Re: Soaking: controversy?

Since ball pythons are not an aquatic snake, the only time I've ever soaked one is due to stuck shed. They get most of their hydration from their prey. Although they will and do drink water. Are you a bad keeper? No. Maybe just mis informed. But I would only soak a BP unless in had to do with shed. But that's just my .02

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RebelCue; 01-21-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

On Facebook, everything is controversial. A lot of snake groups on FB are just ridiculous.

You generally don't need to soak BPs unless it's to help with stuck she'd. And even then, I've found using a warm, damp washcloth or hand towel more effective at removing shed.

Do I think soaking a snake is the worst thing ever? Not at all. Just generally not necessary.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2020),Craiga 01453 (01-21-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    No, you're not a bad keeper. But do yourself a favor and ditch the FB groups. All I hear about them is toxic. (I left FB many years ago, so no hands on experience).

BPs typically don't ever need soaks. But it certainly won't hurt them. Try to focus on your husbandry moving forward and hopefully the sheds will be complete. But if not, it's not the end of the world to soak. But like mentioned above, a warm, damp washcloth will usually do the trick.

I personally only give my snakes a soak if they have a bit of "sausage butt", then a quick soak usually gets them to unload.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Albert420 (01-22-2020),Bogertophis (01-21-2020),Sonny1318 (01-21-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RebelCue View Post
    Since ball pythons are not an aquatic snake, the only time I've ever soaked one is due to stuck shed. They get most of their hydration from their prey. Although they will and do drink water. Are you a bad keeper? No. Maybe just mis informed. But I would only soak a BP unless in had to do with shed. But that's just my .02

The little guy was a rescue, so I did it for the stuck shed and to re-hydrate him quickly - he looks like he hasn't had a meal but one sense being hatched and the people told he hadn't eaten sense they had gotten him.
    Fasfer
    -Will Smith

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fasfer View Post
    The little guy was a rescue, so I did it for the stuck shed and to re-hydrate him quickly - he looks like he hasn't had a meal but one sense being hatched and the people told he hadn't eaten sense they had gotten him.
    Well I for one appreciate all your doing. And I hope the little guy takes a meal and does better. And like others mentioned screw the fb groups. Everything you need is right here on this forum.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RebelCue For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2020),Craiga 01453 (01-21-2020),Fasfer (01-21-2020)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

I think the issue they have is: They think if you have to soak then your humidity isn't high enough or your water bowl large enough.

Just not always true--especially with young ones--I'm soaking one right now

*.* TNTC

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2020),Fasfer (01-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    It’s not exactly unheard of for an occasional ball python that enjoys a soak either.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2020),Fasfer (01-21-2020),viper69 (02-17-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    On Facebook, everything is controversial. A lot of snake groups on FB are just ridiculous.

You generally don't need to soak BPs unless it's to help with stuck she'd. And even then, I've found using a warm, damp washcloth or hand towel more effective at removing shed.

Do I think soaking a snake is the worst thing ever? Not at all. Just generally not necessary.
    It was the first time I had joined a FB group. I left. Thats insane, honestly. I did it for a reason - not because I have crap husbandry. I have only had the dude for 3 days!
    Fasfer
    -Will Smith

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fasfer View Post
    So, I recently got a new BP. I soaked said BO to rehydrate him and to help with the shed (but my main priority was the hydration).

I posted about it in a Facebook group and now I’m being called a terrible keeper. I didn’t even know this was controversial or a no-no to so many people?!

Does this actually make me a bad keeper? And why is this a controversy I had no idea about?
    A "bad keeper"? Of course not. I assume that something about his appearance gave you the impression that he was dehydrated, & you followed your gut instinct to do right by this new snake. Consider that in the wild, it rains...& consider that snakes do get wet! Moreover, they do not melt or dissolve in water... IMO, you'd be a worse keeper if you ignored your impression of what this snake needed and only listened to people who aren't there to really see what YOU see.

What disturbs most snakes about being "soaked" is either the lack of traction (snakes should not be soaked in water deep enough that it forces them to swim & that can be prevented by keeping the water shallow & putting a small towel under the snake to help reduce their panic) OR because the temperature of the water is incorrect (remember that our body temperature is roughly 98* so when the water feels warm to us it means it's actually ABOVE our 98* and therefore is too warm for your snake...so therefore IF you soak a snake, take the temperature of the water first & make sure it's about 85* at most).

You clearly know about the humidity requirements to keep a BP healthy. While I rarely soak snakes, sometimes it's just what we need to do. Don't lose sleep over this.
    I steer clear of Facebook too...I've heard about their penchant for drama & don't need it. Even the best keepers may disagree on some issues, & by discussing it without drama, it's how everyone learns more. Do stick around...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-21-2020 at 06:45 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Fasfer (01-21-2020),richardhind1972 (01-22-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast