Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,968

0 members and 2,968 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    I use RHP's in most/all of my melamine and PVC enclosures - about 30 total - and have had no issues with them. I would use one over a DHP/CHE in this application.

There are heat mats designed specifically for use inside the enclosure; they are sealed units that can get wet. I think UltraTherm is one, but I've never used that brand. Big Apple Herp sells a brand called IntelliTemp and I have a few of those. I use a dimmer switch/rheostat with them to create a basking spot since those enclosures also have an RHP that keeps the ambient temp constant, so I don't have to worry about the heat mat temperature swinging up and down with the ambient room temperature because it's regulated by a dimmer/rheostat rather than a thermostat.

Thanks
    I am using a pro heat panel in my 36" X 18" X 18" Exo terra enclosure with the screen top that is divided into 4 with plastic ribs? Even before the RHP I struggled with humidity more than heat (plus IMHO) RHPs are more efficiant. I think you get a lot more heat spread over a larger area for the same watts of heat using any other method. I have all the screen blocked off with thin plastic and then covered with that foil bubble wrap. The sides are also covered with the same foil/bubble wrap insulation. Part of my issue is how I had to mount it with that divided screen top. It hung down enough my snake just had to try and get beside or above it. I blocked all that off and everything has been working great for the 6 months it has been set up this way.

No matter how much I sprayed and I use Cypres mulch I couldn't keep humodity high enough. I would stir a good amount of water into the mulch and I would get 65-70 percent for a day at most. It would stay higher than the rooms humidity but not high enough. It would maintain 45-50% and it would probably work but I wanted to do better. I have this snake in captivity and I want him to be as comfortable and thriving as possible. I finally went with a misting system and it is 90% hands off but for spot cleaning.

I think in that wood enclosure (and I think it looks good!) would work perfectly with a RHP. Contact Bob at Pro-heat and tell him about your snake, enclosure, and the conditions where the enclosure will be kept. He will recomend a panel of a certain wattage. Use that wattage to shop around and read reviews.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alien For This Useful Post:

Mike Beaulieu (01-21-2020)

Thanks

Re: Custom viv advise needed

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I use RHP's in most/all of my melamine and PVC enclosures - about 30 total - and have had no issues with them. I would use one over a DHP/CHE in this application.

There are heat mats designed specifically for use inside the enclosure; they are sealed units that can get wet. I think UltraTherm is one, but I've never used that brand. Big Apple Herp sells a brand called IntelliTemp and I have a few of those. I use a dimmer switch/rheostat with them to create a basking spot since those enclosures also have an RHP that keeps the ambient temp constant, so I don't have to worry about the heat mat temperature swinging up and down with the ambient room temperature because it's regulated by a dimmer/rheostat rather than a thermostat.
    So if I understand you properly, the rhp would not create a hot spot therefore my problem really isn't solved. It would help the ambient temp without drying, but i would still have to use a heat mat inside ?

Envoyé de mon MAR-LX3A en utilisant Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alien View Post
    I am using a pro heat panel in my 36" X 18" X 18" Exo terra enclosure with the screen top that is divided into 4 with plastic ribs? Even before the RHP I struggled with humidity more than heat (plus IMHO) RHPs are more efficiant. I think you get a lot more heat spread over a larger area for the same watts of heat using any other method. I have all the screen blocked off with thin plastic and then covered with that foil bubble wrap. The sides are also covered with the same foil/bubble wrap insulation. Part of my issue is how I had to mount it with that divided screen top. It hung down enough my snake just had to try and get beside or above it. I blocked all that off and everything has been working great for the 6 months it has been set up this way.

No matter how much I sprayed and I use Cypres mulch I couldn't keep humodity high enough. I would stir a good amount of water into the mulch and I would get 65-70 percent for a day at most. It would stay higher than the rooms humidity but not high enough. It would maintain 45-50% and it would probably work but I wanted to do better. I have this snake in captivity and I want him to be as comfortable and thriving as possible. I finally went with a misting system and it is 90% hands off but for spot cleaning.

I think in that wood enclosure (and I think it looks good!) would work perfectly with a RHP. Contact Bob at Pro-heat and tell him about your snake, enclosure, and the conditions where the enclosure will be kept. He will recomend a panel of a certain wattage. Use that wattage to shop around and read reviews.
    Thank you that is really helpfull and kind. How do you create a hotspot in your enclosure ? With the rhp ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Beaulieu View Post
    So if I understand you properly, the rhp would not create a hot spot therefore my problem really isn't solved. It would help the ambient temp without drying, but i would still have to use a heat mat inside ?

Not necessarily. Depending on the size of your enclosure, ambient room temps, and the size of the RHP, it is possible to just use the RHP for both ambient and hot spot. I use RHPs in my PVC enclosures and do not use any under tank heaters.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Beaulieu View Post
    So if I understand you properly, the rhp would not create a hot spot therefore my problem really isn't solved. It would help the ambient temp without drying, but i would still have to use a heat mat inside?
    It depends on the height of the enclosure, the ambient room temperature, how well-insulated the enclosure is, etc. I have some enclosures that are 12-15" high and the RHP creates a basking spot just fine. I have others that are 18-24" and the floor temp only gets to the low 80's under the RHP so I use a second appliance specifically for belly heat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    It depends on the height of the enclosure, the ambient room temperature, how well-insulated the enclosure is, etc. I have some enclosures that are 12-15" high and the RHP creates a basking spot just fine. I have others that are 18-24" and the floor temp only gets to the low 80's under the RHP so I use a second appliance specifically for belly heat.
    Ok thks, i will contact bob from pro then and see what could be done.

Thanks

I have 2 36x24x18 enclosures with an 80 reptile basics RHP each. I use 3 inches of coconut husk substrate. I have a hot spot and an ambient temp that hold great. No additional heat source needed. I would recommend filling in the cut outs you have for lights with wood and seal it. Then get an RHP. No need for uvb with ball pythons. My humidity is great every few days I dump a little of the water as I'm changing it in the cage and can stay 50 - 70 for easy 5 days without adding water. My house is super dry in the winter and it's barely made a difference compared to Summer.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Bamboo Ball Python
    0.0.1 Halmahera Blue Tongue Skink
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gunkle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gunkle View Post
    I have 2 36x24x18 enclosures with an 80 reptile basics RHP each. I use 3 inches of coconut husk substrate. I have a hot spot and an ambient temp that hold great. No additional heat source needed. I would recommend filling in the cut outs you have for lights with wood and seal it. Then get an RHP. No need for uvb with ball pythons. My humidity is great every few days I dump a little of the water as I'm changing it in the cage and can stay 50 - 70 for easy 5 days without adding water. My house is super dry in the winter and it's barely made a difference compared to Summer.
    Ok that's a good reference. I am adding some coconut fiber + Cypress today. I am going to see where humidity stands after that. If i need to make a change, i will go for rhp instead of uth. It seems the safer and better option overall for wooden enclosures.

Thanks

I use all RHP's in my cages - and love them. In my opinion the best heating method ever. I have pro products RHP's which I feel are the best. Well worth the investment.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast