Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 433

3 members and 430 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

BriGuy31+ (42)

» Stats

Members: 67,144
Threads: 241,777
Posts: 2,509,939
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, zackbalbin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-23-2018
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts

    Ball Python Stuck!! Hurting himself, please help!

    I have no idea how but my snake has got himself stuck and he is hurting himself trying to get out, I see pink flesh coming out of his belly as he is trying to rip out of it. I have tried putting water base lubricant but nothing is helping, i think he has caught himself on the inside.

    https://imgur.com/a/2H3zHPl

    Any suggestions? I am desperate, I cant take him to the vet till the morning.

  2. #2
    BPnet Lifer Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    5,763
    Thanks
    2,174
    Thanked 3,657 Times in 2,303 Posts

    Re: Ball Python Stuck!! Hurting himself, please help!

    Maybe loads of lubricant on it both sides of the ornament and wrap a towel around it and very gently try to ease it BACK out ??

    I donít see it being able to get all the way through it ..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro




  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

    Bunsen (01-22-2020)

  4. #3
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,730
    Thanks
    14,793
    Thanked 8,634 Times in 5,518 Posts
    OMG, that poor snake! You must never put stuff like this in snake cages...this is why.

    What is that thing made of? If you can carefully (!) saw thru that without cutting into him...maybe just far enough, not quite all the way thru, so it can be broken open-
    otherwise he can die from this, sorry to say morning may be too late. Snake's scales get stuck, they only slide in one direction & catch the other way so they cannot back
    out. Maybe a vet (veterinary ER?) would have a better idea...maybe anesthetize the snake so he can be manipulated easier, or won't be moving & fighting back. PLEASE
    get this poor snake some help ASAP...this is your fault, not his. Call the vet, describe the situation NOW. A vet can use a saw like they use to cut off a cast.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-20-2020 at 08:14 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    Absololol (01-22-2020),Bunsen (01-22-2020),jmcrook (01-20-2020),O'Mathghamhna (01-21-2020)

  6. #4
    Registered User Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-10-2019
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 37 Times in 16 Posts
    I would be trying to cut, pry, break that off of my snake!

  7. #5
    BPnet Veteran
    Join Date
    01-18-2018
    Posts
    477
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 534 Times in 278 Posts
    If the lube is not working, take it to an emergency vet asap. Those things don't break easy by hand, I see them at the pet store all the time, hard plastic. You can hurt him by pulling the wrong way, or hurt him by other ways. Put him in a pillow, keep him as still as possible and rush to the vet. If his flesh is exposed, he will need medical no matter what. Best news would be he manage get out on the way to the vet, worst is that he continues to cut himself.

    Contact your closest emergency vet, even if they don't treat exotic, call and ask for advice and help.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 01-20-2020 at 09:06 PM.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (01-20-2020),Bunsen (01-22-2020)

  9. #6
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,730
    Thanks
    14,793
    Thanked 8,634 Times in 5,518 Posts

    Re: Ball Python Stuck!! Hurting himself, please help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    If the lube is not working, take it to an emergency vet asap. Those things don't break easy by hand, I see them at the pet store all the time, hard plastic. You can hurt him by pulling the wrong way, or hurt him by other ways. Put him in a pillow, keep him as still as possible and rush to the vet. If his flesh is exposed, he will need medical no matter what. Best news would be he manage get out on the way to the vet, worst is that he continues to cut himself.

    Contact your closest emergency vet, even if they don't treat exotic, call and ask for advice and help.
    I sure hope that the lack of an answer from the OP means they're on their way to the vet...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    Bunsen (01-22-2020),Fasfer (01-21-2020),Southpaw91 (01-20-2020)

  11. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-23-2018
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts

    Re: Ball Python Stuck!! Hurting himself, please help!

    Omg I have had to worse couple of hours. I couldn't get hold of anyone apart from a local vet who had no clue so I have been easing away the snake with oil and lubrication and I finally got him free!!! He is feeling very sorry for myself and I am on the verge of a panic attack...... He is cut up around the area but he is alive... I am will be going to the vet I know first thing to get him treated but he is back in his hide on the warm side for the time being...

    I have had that stupid T rex thing and the ball python for 1.5 years (first time snake owner, got him when he was 3 months old) and I have never seen him do this. It is in the bin already, lesson learned.

    Thank you all for your replies, I was way too stressed to answer but I was reading them <3

    Will keep you all posted on recovery and treatment
    Last edited by Bunsen; 01-20-2020 at 09:42 PM.

  12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bunsen For This Useful Post:

    Absololol (01-22-2020),Bogertophis (01-21-2020),Gemini Pythons (01-22-2020),O'Mathghamhna (01-21-2020),richardhind1972 (01-21-2020)

  13. #8
    Registered User Spicey's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-07-2019
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
    Images: 2

    Stuck snake

    Just as an FYI, a Dremel with a blade can be a quick, safe way to disarticulate resin decorations without alarming the snake more than it aready is.
    Always in Transition

    1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    2.0 Common Parakeets - Shut Up & You Heard Me
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy
    1.0 Maine Coon Cat - Gary (RIP)

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (01-20-2020),Bunsen (01-22-2020),Gemini Pythons (01-22-2020),O'Mathghamhna (01-21-2020)

  15. #9
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,730
    Thanks
    14,793
    Thanked 8,634 Times in 5,518 Posts

    Re: Stuck snake

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicey View Post
    Just as an FYI, a Dremel with a blade can be a quick, safe way to disarticulate resin decorations without alarming the snake more than it aready is.
    This would be safer if there was a second pair of hands to make sure the snake didn't suddenly veer toward the Dremel...you have to plan for the unthinkable.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    bcr229 (01-21-2020),Bunsen (01-22-2020)

  17. #10
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,730
    Thanks
    14,793
    Thanked 8,634 Times in 5,518 Posts

    Re: Ball Python Stuck!! Hurting himself, please help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunsen View Post
    Omg I have had to worse couple of hours. I couldn't get hold of anyone apart from a local vet who had no clue so I have been easing away the snake with oil and lubrication and I finally got him free!!! He is feeling very sorry for myself and I am on the verge of a panic attack...... He is cut up around the area but he is alive... I am will be going to the vet I know first thing to get him treated but he is back in his hide on the warm side for the time being...

    I have had that stupid T rex thing and the ball python for 1.5 years (first time snake owner, got him when he was 3 months old) and I have never seen him do this. It is in the bin already, lesson learned.

    Thank you all for your replies, I was way too stressed to answer but I was reading them <3

    Will keep you all posted on recovery and treatment
    I so hope the cuts aren't too bad & that he recovers. I know you didn't mean for this to happen. Sooner or later, snakes in captivity have nothing better to do than check out everything within their reach -it's up to us to do the thinking for them, they don't know better than to get stuck. Even in the wild, snakes get killed this way, going thru some kinds of fences (especially 'bird netting' that some ppl use in their garden) or other debris. Just because pet stores sell cage "decor" doesn't mean it's safe...it may be fine for fish to swim thru, but never for snakes. Even driftwood, you have to make sure there's no holes that your snake can get stuck in, & never use cholla logs either.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-21-2020 at 12:37 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    Bunsen (01-22-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1