Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,063

2 members and 3,061 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Overly large feeders

Alrighty. So, a couple months ago I picked up 3 “medium” rats from a reptile store nearby. The smalls I had gotten from them the time before were very small, so I thought I’d try their mediums. And HOLY crap, these things are like the size of cats!!

Yes, I realize I should have exchanged them. But I didn’t. Yes, I know it’s best to buy in bulk anyway for regulated sizing. But I am living in Texas right now from California, where I am recovering from surgery for an unknown period of time. And I have no intentions of trying to drive cross country while worrying about thawing rodents in the car.

Anyway, they are obviously much larger than a meal I’d ever normally feed either of my animals. I’ve cut heads and limbs of chicks in the past, but there’s no way I could do that with one of these without a ghastly mess. I know I just worry way too much about prey size...because I see these photos/videos of snakes in the wild having swallowed MASSIVE prey.

I still just get nervous about it. Of course I know I can just toss them out. It’s not about that. I would feel guilty about wasting a life.
    About 6 weeks ago, I fed the smallest looking one to my Dumeril’s. She did it, but looked fat and miserable for a few weeks. Although, it was nothing compared to photos you often see of large constrictors eating antelope and stuff.

Now that I say that out loud I realize how ridiculous I sound worrying. They just look so big! Even though others have assured me my scrub could probably handle one, I just can’t do it. He’s 6 feet long, but so thin-bodied. Every time he eats, I swear I think his neck will burst! But 3 days later, no matter how big the meal, it’s like it never happened.

Anyway, forum team. What would you do? Leave them in the freezer for now? Go for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    I accidentally bought some large rats, instead of medium, and right now they're just sitting in my freezer, but I have heard of feeding periodically overly large meals, particularly for a scrub.

Here's a video of a scrub eating a whole chicken. I am not saying this is the right thing to do, but I figured I'd add it here to hear opinions too:

Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,487 Times in 2,686 Posts

Re: Overly large feeders

Do you have a picture of the feeders? I think your scrub may be a tad larger than my 5.5 ft male. I feed him mostly mediums but he's eaten a couple of large rats as well. He looks a little plump for a few days but other than that there's no issues. Your boa is a pretty good size critter too. I would think a medium rat wouldn't be an issue but I prefer to feed my boas smaller meals than I usually feed my similarly sized pythons.

@ wnateg- That's a gorgeous scrub and that video shows how easily they can take down larger prey. I would never feed my snakes processed food though.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 01-20-2020 at 06:35 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks
    Rodentpro.com. Don’t have to worry about driving anywhere. Largest I’ll go is slightly larger than the girth of the snake.

and I wouldn’t never feed processed meat to a snake. Reminds me of the moron who posted to a Facebook group a couple weeks ago feeding her burm cooked chicken breasts. Supposedly at least.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Waterman For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-20-2020)

Thanks
    If you have a few bucks for shipping, I like Perfect Prey. Immaculate feeders. You can even get single rats of some sizes. I've ordered to NC for years, and they arrive rock solid even when we're at 100 degrees. Got any reptile friends in the area? I often split an order with a friend to save on shipping.

https://perfectprey.com/frozen-rats/

Do you know the weight of the rats compared to the snakes?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meghenebk View Post
    If you have a few bucks for shipping, I like Perfect Prey. Immaculate feeders. You can even get single rats of some sizes. I've ordered to NC for years, and they arrive rock solid even when we're at 100 degrees. Got any reptile friends in the area? I often split an order with a friend to save on shipping.

https://perfectprey.com/frozen-rats/

Do you know the weight of the rats compared to the snakes?
    Right. I normally use Layne Labs, but as mentioned, am out of state and don’t have a set return date yet. Hopefully, less than 6 weeks. But who knows. I haven’t made a bulk order because I do not intend to drive 1300 miles with frozen rats in the car😉

I don’t have a scale here, but I’ll post a pic when I get home. I’m sure I need to stop being a baby and just do it.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'd probably save the over-sized prey for a later date...if my "gut feeling" was that it looked too big, I wouldn't do it. "Usually no problem" but no guarantee either.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Do you have a picture of the feeders? I think your scrub may be a tad larger than my 5.5 ft male. I feed him mostly mediums but he's eaten a couple of large rats as well. He looks a little plump for a few days but other than that there's no issues. Your boa is a pretty good size critter too. I would think a medium rat wouldn't be an issue but I prefer to feed my boas smaller meals than I usually feed my similarly sized pythons.

@ wnateg- That's a gorgeous scrub and that video shows how easily they can take down larger prey. I would never feed my snakes processed food though.
    You know what, Zig? You’re right. I’m being lame. Just pulled them out and they’re big, but it’ll be fine. They can rally!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    I accidentally bought some large rats, instead of medium, and right now they're just sitting in my freezer, but I have heard of feeding periodically overly large meals, particularly for a scrub.

Here's a video of a scrub eating a whole chicken. I am not saying this is the right thing to do, but I figured I'd add it here to hear opinions too:

You’re right. I’m being a wuss😂 He’ll be thrilled.

Thanks

Thanks for your help, guys! The scrub took it like a champ. He’s got a larger belly than usual, but with a metabolism like that, it’ll be gone in 3 days

The Dum refused, which is never a shock (I early always thaw out enough food for only one of them so he can chomp her leftovers. But I thought, she last ate 7 weeks ago and has been much better about taking food lately...so, fail on my part).

Here is the kraken, after taking his monster rat...always assuming there is another waiting for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (01-22-2020),wnateg (01-22-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast