Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,156

0 members and 3,156 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Digital Thermometer w/Humidity Gauge - Likes?

The 20-gal setup sticky recommends the one below, but the thread is a little old. Do people still like this one or are there others that people really like? Optimally, I'd be able to use it in my starter 20-gal and then reuse when I upgrade to a fancy setup (AP T8) in a couple years.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acu-Rite-...ndingMethod=rr

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Re: Digital Thermometer w/Humidity Gauge - Likes?

You can go even cheaper and still get a good one, it's the kind I use and many people on here.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-0...Gauge/16888914

Just be sure to remove it from the enclosure before misting or it can get damaged.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks
    You could have 5 diferent temp/humidity gauges and each reads different, its frustrating. No matter what any of my devices read I can tell when my snake is not comfortable by where he is hiding. When he changes I'll spot check and will find something is a few degrees different from "normal" and might have to adjust something.

My Herpistat seems to be the most acurate, but expensive.

Thanks

See step 8 from the 20 gal setup guide.

Step 8: Place your thermometer probe inside the tank centered on the UTH.

I think the key to the thermometer probe is being able to see the temperature of the glass at the spot most likely to burn your snake in the event the UTH or thermostat failed.

So as long as there's an accurate thermometer, with the ability to read the glass temp over the center of the UTH it should work fine.

The potential problem I see with newer wireless models is that most don't have a probe that can take direct contact readings with the glass. Instead they seem to rely on sensors picking up the air temp.

And I not sure how that would work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Traxxyun View Post
    See step 8 from the 20 gal setup guide.

Step 8: Place your thermometer probe inside the tank centered on the UTH.

I think the key to the thermometer probe is being able to see the temperature of the glass at the spot most likely to burn your snake in the event the UTH or thermostat failed.

So as long as there's an accurate thermometer, with the ability to read the glass temp over the center of the UTH it should work fine.

The potential problem I see with newer wireless models is that most don't have a probe that can take direct contact readings with the glass. Instead they seem to rely on sensors picking up the air temp.

And I not sure how that would work.
    If all you are doing is testing ambient temperature it's fine to have a thermometer probe in the tank. However, you do not want to place your THERMOSTAT probe that controls the UTH inside the tank. To measure surface temps, as opposed to ambient air temps, do not rely on a digital thermometer probe. Get a temp gun.

I believe OP was talking about a digital thermometer that can also measure humidity.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks

Correct. I bought the one you recommended from Walmart for measuring cool side temp and humidity inside the tank. Installed a different therm control outside the tank with the UTH.

Have the temps dialed in. Now I need to work on upping the humidity...
    Last edited by Nick_MD; 01-28-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks

I'm new here too, and trying to do all the research I can to make sure I can set up everything correctly. I understand OP was asking if a newer thermometer would be fine vs the accurite thermometer recommended in the 20g tank setup.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acu-Rite-...ndingMethod=rr

But that old thermometer actually has a 10ft wired probe for outdoor temps. It's separate from the wired probe for the thermostat. And it's getting difficult to find online now, which is why I'm in this thread.

The way the guide reads it suggests putting the accurite thermometer probe in the tank, on top of the the glass, with the thermostat probe outside the tank on the bottom of the glass. In this order.

Hide on the hotside
    Substrate
    Thermometer probe
    Glass
    Thermostat probe
    UTH

That way the outside temp reading on the accurite thermometer would be the actual glass temp that your snake may come into contact with. The base unit on the accurite thermometer takes the ambient temperature and humidity from the cool side.

Even using an infrared laser thermometer gun, that's not going to read the glass temp, unless you remove some substrate, and your snake will keep messing that up.

Personally I was wondering about siliconing a wireless inside the hothide on its ceiling. It seems like that would be the closest a wireless sensor could get to the glass, without touching it, or sitting in substrate. Especially since any hide should be trapping heat inside thats rising up from the UTH, keeping it a little warmer than just outside the hide.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Digital Thermometer w/Humidity Gauge - Likes?

I use these now in my enclosures. $50.
    http://www.sensorpush.com/products/h...SABEgKJAfD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 01-30-2020 at 01:08 AM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)