Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,847

1 members and 2,846 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Re: New User Question - Ball as 1st Snake for Child

Cher and Buffy

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks
    Took "most" of the advice, but did end up with a younger snake than might have been optimal. Got a caramel corn who is now named Sheila. Going well after a couple weeks. Here she is eating for her second time (testing pic posting). I'll start a progression thread once we're handling her more frequently.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nick_MD For This Useful Post:

Bodie (02-28-2020),Bogertophis (02-28-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-28-2020),dakski (02-28-2020),EL-Ziggy (02-28-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Very good choice IMO, a corn is much less 'fussy' than a ball python, even though much smaller (more fragile!) & more active (which they improve upon as they grow).
    I have 3 caramel corns myself, & 2 Okeetees (currently). Corns make excellent pets- most have docile personalities, require far less heat in cage (I recommend good
    air-flow as well), & if treated gently, are not biters at all, even when hungry. I like their adult size as well...welcome to "rat snakes".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

New User Question - Ball as 1st Snake for Child

Looks gorgeous..

They not very relaxing to hold when they’re young and small as they never stop wriggling around .. like a hamster ..

I’d switch to a dark coloured substrate like or orchid or reptile bark to show off his colours !!
    M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 02-28-2020 at 01:56 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-28-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    One thing to possibly consider is that a lot of BPs brown out as they age, whereas a lot of corns look the same as adults if not better. I know some BP morphs hold their color better, but I'm no expert on that. As an example, my Pastel Vanilla Yellowbelly is still pretty yellow and black at about 2 years of age. My Dragonfly is also still pretty bright but has browned out some.
    The tricky thing with hatchling corns though is that they hatch out very drab, compared to how their colors actually come in gradually. But you're right, once they get their
    true colors, they stay that way for life. BTW, yellow is the slowest color to come in, so be patient with caramel corns (<to OP).

Thanks
    @ Boogertophis - Can you link me to some pics of your 3 caramels? I'm curious what to expect in a few years. Does it take roughly that long?

@ Zincubus - I'm planning on switching out substrate once it starts to warm up and the natural humidity climbs. I bought this to hold humidity when I was still setting up for a Ball.

I also need to get her something to climb on. Currently the only vertical surface is a temp/humidity gauge and she seems to hang out on top of it when she's out cruising. Anything you all recommend?

As expected, she can really move quickly when she wants to. Although handling has been kept to a minimum, she does mellow out after a couple minutes already. She still wants to move, but slows down and takes kindly to being redirected. So far my son has been very patient with wanting to handle her. He's content to let her slither over his hand for a minute and just watch her cruise the cage around dusk each day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_MD View Post
    @ Boogertophis - Can you link me to some pics of your 3 caramels? I'm curious what to expect in a few years. Does it take roughly that long?...
    I also need to get her something to climb on. Currently the only vertical surface is a temp/humidity gauge and she seems to hang out on top of it when she's out cruising. Anything you all recommend?

As expected, she can really move quickly when she wants to. Although handling has been kept to a minimum, she does mellow out after a couple minutes already. She still wants to move, but slows down and takes kindly to being redirected. So far my son has been very patient with wanting to handle her. He's content to let her slither over his hand for a minute and just watch her cruise the cage around dusk each day.
    Sorry, but no I can't, mainly because I never take photos, lol....(I promise I'm NOT from another planet). Anyway, yellow usually comes in around a year old, hang in there.
    When (in the past) I've bred or bought hatchling corns, it was usually the drabbest ones that ended up looking the best. All you can do is go by the "parents" & wait...

A few more suggestions: a hatchling corn may be too shy for a while to climb on ('clean') branches, but you can include them so she'll get used to them being there. If you use driftwood, make sure there are no holes your snake can get stuck in (when she grows & you've forgotten they're there) or just plug them now. Snakes will use man-made things to climb on too, like the ladders they sell for birds. You can also make your own-it's a good idea to coat wood with non-toxic no-VOC waterproofing so the wood doesn't absorb feces & germs, & are easier to clean off.

As far as handling: hatchling rat-or-corn snakes are afraid of us & the world...they're tiny & preyed upon in nature. One thing I like to do is gently cup them in my closed hands-they learn to calm down, feeling "safe" in a "cave"...then let them look out*. Always handle them over a safe surface should they fall, so they aren't hurt. I prefer my bed, since most chairs & couches may have tiny holes between the cushions. I've never had to tear apart any upholstered furniture to retrieve a snake, but many others have...

*I've actually had corn snakes that learned to feel so safe in my cupped hands that they happily ate f/t pinkies from my fingers while there. I got away from that as they grew bigger, but you really can see & help their personality if you're patient.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-28-2020 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    Congrats on the new acquisition! Corns really are a great beginner snake.

Funny just last week I shared the progression pics of one of my caramels (with Miami) with a customer so they could see how they change. These pics are hatchling, several months, a year, and 3 years with varies lighting quality in the photos.

Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-28-2020)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123