Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,916

1 members and 2,915 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: New User Question - Ball as 1st Snake for Child

Thanks for the replies everyone! They have given me a lot to think about. The short answer sounds like get both a Corn and a BP eventually, but it brings me full circle as to which to get first...

My new approach is going to be to say we're going to go get a BP "together" which basically means that it's going to be my snake first with some assistance from my son. If he really takes to it, then in 6-12 months we can go back to Repticon and get him "his own" Corn which may not be a hatchling. Best case scenario, he likes both of them and takes over most of the upkeep as his gets older. Most likely scenario, I end up with a BP of my own (or he loves the BP and I end up with a Corn for myself). Worst case scenario, I end up owning both a BP and a Corn which really doesn't sound too terrible.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick_MD For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-20-2020),Zincubus (01-20-2020)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Set up and calibrate temps in your enclosure before you get your snake(s).

Get female snakes. In case it doesn't work out for you-adult female snakes are easier to re-home...and if you decide to breed them someday the older females will come in handy...
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 01-20-2020 at 03:03 PM.
    *.* TNTC

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (01-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

New User Question - Ball as 1st Snake for Child

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_MD View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone! They have given me a lot to think about. The short answer sounds like get both a Corn and a BP eventually, but it brings me full circle as to which to get first...

My new approach is going to be to say we're going to go get a BP "together" which basically means that it's going to be my snake first with some assistance from my son. If he really takes to it, then in 6-12 months we can go back to Repticon and get him "his own" Corn which may not be a hatchling. Best case scenario, he likes both of them and takes over most of the upkeep as his gets older. Most likely scenario, I end up with a BP of my own (or he loves the BP and I end up with a Corn for myself). Worst case scenario, I end up owning both a BP and a Corn which really doesn't sound too terrible.
    For what it’s worth I have two beaut adult Corn snakes just to add weight to my last post and show that I’m not just some crazy Royal lover

Remember if you’re going with a Royal : Ball Python ensure it is a good feeder / eater by buying off a trustworthy seller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 01-20-2020 at 03:16 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-28-2020),richardhind1972 (01-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    And "full disclosure", I've had BPs many years ago, but none currently. Way more into rat snakes & others...currently have 5 adult corn snakes & 11 rat snakes
    of various kinds & ages. 19 snakes in all currently, including a spotted python, rosy boa & Texas longnose. Your plan sounds pretty good. Have fun!

BTW, Australian spotted pythons also make great pets...WAY easier to feed than BPs, stay about the size of a corn snake. I've only had this one, & in the 11 years
    I've had her, she has only nipped me by mistake ONCE. She handles great, even with strangers, & she eats unheated f/t small mice happily. Just a thought- not
    as colorful as corn snakes are though, but she likes to bask on branches...way less of a "hider" than BPs are. She's always watching me ("food?"). BTW, she does
    great in a glass tank also, with more warmth than a corn, & only needs a humid hide (not a whole humid enclosure).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (01-20-2020)

Thanks

I will go with many on this one. My son is 6 and I am teaching him the husbandry of all my animals because he takes an interest in them. But just because they want one, is not good enough. I can't see him fully taking care of any animal for a few years, even though he is much more knowledgeable then his peers at his age. My focus is to create a desire for him to know and love these animals.

They will handle my bp, my beardy, but they are mine. They have hamsters i. Their room, they feed them but I have to remind them, I am their true keepers.

He can have one, but make sure you understand you will be taking care of it.

That is my personal experience with my son.

Envoyé de mon MAR-LX3A en utilisant Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Beaulieu For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-24-2020)

Thanks

Thanks again for the replies. My son sounds similar. I would have never agreed to let him get a snake if I didn't already have some experience taking care of them (Dumerils Boa as adult and Rat Snake as kid). I'm just really glad my wife talked him out of a Hermit Crab. She said, "I would rather you get a snake" and well, we jumped all over that and here we are. I fully anticipate being responsible for the upkeep - just maybe with a 7 year old assistant. It's part of the reason I'm taking the time to research what I want really first, but what also works as a reasonable starter for a kid.

I'm working on getting the cage dialed in currently. Aiming for an optimal BP setup, but if I come home with a corn snake, then I can always adjust the setup.

I very much like the look of the Okeetee Corns, but will not get a baby which is all I saw for those at the past Repticon. I'm also liking the BPs that have a high yellow/black contrast - maybe a Pastel or a Mojave, but need to research any genetic issues on those. I actually like the Normal BPs too so getting a healthy normal could be the best route...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick_MD For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-28-2020),Mike Beaulieu (01-24-2020)

Thanks
    You might ask some breeders about older hold-backs they may want to sell...they might have them but not drag them to all the shows as they take more room &
    most buyers want hatchlings. I like Okeetee Corns too & used to breed them. I still have one but he's 20 years old, a little old to call a "hold-back". And if you
    like the look of Okeetee, you might also look for Abbotts corn snakes. (they tend to have heavier black borders between the reds & oranges, really pretty IMO)

Thanks

Be careful! I started with a corn. And then a BP. And, over a few years, a king, a rosy boa, a western hognose, and now a boa constrictor! Definitely can't stop at one.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Meghenebk For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-24-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meghenebk View Post
    Be careful! I started with a corn. And then a BP. And, over a few years, a king, a rosy boa, a western hognose, and now a boa constrictor! Definitely can't stop at one.
    Who wants to "stop"? You're no fun...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_MD View Post
    I very much like the look of the Okeetee Corns, but will not get a baby which is all I saw for those at the past Repticon. I'm also liking the BPs that have a high yellow/black contrast - maybe a Pastel or a Mojave, but need to research any genetic issues on those. I actually like the Normal BPs too so getting a healthy normal could be the best route...
    One thing to possibly consider is that a lot of BPs brown out as they age, whereas a lot of corns look the same as adults if not better. I know some BP morphs hold their color better, but I'm no expert on that. As an example, my Pastel Vanilla Yellowbelly is still pretty yellow and black at about 2 years of age. My Dragonfly is also still pretty bright but has browned out some.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast