Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,059

1 members and 1,058 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks

Re: Vet won't write script for Fortaz but sells it at 10x the price. Is this legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I run an automotive shop and I get people coming in wanting diagnostics on their vehicle and then want to supply their own parts. I flat out say “no”. I don’t want the headache of having to deal with warranties or the wrong part or anything like that. I also get people calling who did their own diagnostics and want me to install parts. Again I just say “no, might want to try another shop”.

I personally have never ran into the issue the OP had with a vet. The vet I see is fair and helpful with prices if needed. If I did run into the issue, I would just find a different vet and call it a day.

What a lot of people don’t understand is it costs a lot to run any business and trying to just make money off labor aka check ups and stuff just doesn’t cut it unless you overcharge on it to make up for the loss of parts aka medicine.

Anyways, good luck on whatever avenue you take and hopefully the animal gets better as that is the ultimate goal.
    I don't have a problem with vets charging for medication, but I do have a big one if they only let me have the medication my animal needs if I buy it from them.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leocrespo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-18-2020),CALM Pythons (01-23-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Vet won't write script for Fortaz but sells it at 10x the price. Is this legal?

I believe if the vet was upfront that they will not write a script and only supply meds from them, it's their prerogative. I think the issue here is that they didn't say that until after the exam and the vet wanted to prescribe without a tracheal wash.

My vet will supply me with inexpensive meds they have on hand, but most come from a local pharmacy. When Yafe was sick, the medication costs where the least of my worries, as the frequent vet visits and lab tests were the real culprit. What my vet does do which I love, is give me an estimate for everything before charging or starting treatment. They let me know the price of the exam at the beginning as well. Are they cheap? NO. However, they are upfront about it.

Additionally, I rented a nebulizer from them for treating Yafe and it cost as much as buying one. Did I need one long-term? I really hope not. However, I have a different attitude towards GOOD vets that are open and honest about treating my animals.

I have two GOOD reptile vets within 150 miles of me (not counting NYC or Boston - don't know any there, sure I could find some, but too far and long to be lugging my reptile(s) around). TUFTS University has a good retile vet, and my "local" reptile and exotics vet 90-100 miles away (1 1/2 hour drive on a good day - all 65mph freeway).

I like to support the "local" vet as they are small practice and I want them to stay open. I deem them as necessary, for both my animals, and the health of others' animals.

Can I afford to spend $200 vs. $25 at a local pharmacy, for example, NO! However, if the pharmacy wants $20 and they want $30, fine. Again, they are upfront, and I have vested interest in them staying open.

This may sound strange, but I view this similar to the cigar industry in this country. I DO NOT BUY CIGARS ONLINE. Why? I could save 10% probably, which given 2-3 cigars a week, is substantial. However, where would I smoke them. I have two local shops I go to and both will match online prices or come as close as they can. Even if they make an effort, I buy from them. 5-6 months of the year and in and weather, I cannot smoke outside, and I like the camaraderie of hanging at the smoke shop(s). If people didn't buy from them, they couldn't stay in business, and therefore, there would be nowhere to smoke.

I agree with choice, but that doesn't mean I will always pick the cheapest option.

Again, I think in this case, there were red flags.

However, I wanted to point out that it's important to support the few good reptile vets we have. Especially if they are honest, upfront, and save our animals' lives.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    I suppose when we consider the veterinary services of an unfamiliar vet we should ask if they will write scripts for the prescriptions they recommend so that we can
    fill them elsewhere IF we want to BEFORE we make an appointment with them...? but since the all the professional veterinary organizations seem to consider this to
    be an unacceptable & unethical practice, I really don't see the need.

dakski, I'm not sure what you mean by your statement "I think in this case, there were red flags."?

As I described in my post #2, I had the same problem as leocrespo from a local vet a few years back. They are well-thought of & occasionally
    take care of injured wildlife, but it was unfair of them to hike the price so much on my dogs' heartworm medication, when the going rate was sig-
    nificantly lower. Not only that, but veterinary offices get a discount by buying in bulk for these prescriptions, so had they been more competitive
    with the price they offered me they'd still have made some money on it. I did not care for being lied to or taken advantage of, & I promptly switched
    to a different local vet who didn't pull stuff like that.

Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-18-2020 at 12:04 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    And btw, in my situation what really got me was when they claimed they were UNABLE to write a prescription...does this truly sound legit to you? It didn't to me.
    It told me that I was being played.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leocrespo View Post
    I agree that both vet and the clinic are crooks. Do you think I have a case to involve the attorney general?
    attorney general will take complains and follow up. A lot of people think it’s a waste of time because they do send you to a website to download paperwork and fill it out, however I know first hand (as a business owner for almost 30 years) that they do contact you, this veterinarian is not breaking any laws as the ADMIN of this page explained, however a code of ethics is another ball game and with the right pressure this veterinarian may choose to practice in another manner for the future. In the end thats all customers want is fair care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-18-2020),Sonny1318 (01-18-2020)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345