Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,131

2 members and 3,129 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: scale rot?

Thanks

scale rot?

i took pretzel out and noticed this mark on him.. idk what it could be because his humidity and temperature levels are spot on. i did notice him trying to wedge his head in between the glass doors of his new cage, could this just be an injury?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: scale rot?

Also on the top of his head one of his scales is sticking off, but he hasn’t shed recently and it looks like maybe he rubbed it off even though it wasn’t ready to come off? i figured i should just leave it be since it’s not technically “stuck” since he never shed. i attached photos they aren’t great but this is the best i could get with him moving around

Thanks

anyone?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'm not sure what you're referring to on his chin...I'm not seeing anything I'd be concerned about. If you're talking about the "dashed line" of darker scales on
    either side of his head (underneath, first 2 photos) that appears to be normal coloring, maybe you never noticed before? If you mean the central "cleft" that's
    normal too. The only thing I see is on top of his head, those rough looking scales, & I can't be positive from here, but I've seen something like that before, it's
    not serious but something you want to treat topically before it spreads to other scales IF I'm correct- it's a fungal infection that BPs are prone to (since they live
    in warm humid enclosures!) but to be sure, you should check w/ a vet- online isn't the proper way to diagnose things. You can wait a bit, to see if it's still there
    after he sheds, and to see if you start seeing other single or little groups of similar rough-looking scales.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

pretzelpretzel (01-17-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm not sure what you're referring to on his chin...I'm not seeing anything I'd be concerned about. If you're talking about the "dashed line" of darker scales on
    either side of his head (underneath, first 2 photos) that appears to be normal coloring, maybe you never noticed before? If you mean the central "cleft" that's
    normal too. The only thing I see is on top of his head, those rough looking scales, & I can't be positive from here, but I've seen something like that before, it's
    not serious but something you want to treat topically before it spreads to other scales IF I'm correct- it's a fungal infection that BPs are prone to (since they live
    in warm humid enclosures!) but to be sure, you should check w/ a vet- online isn't the proper way to diagnose things. You can wait a bit, to see if it's still there
    after he sheds, and to see if you start seeing other single or little groups of similar rough-looking scales.
    maybe i’m just freaking out for no good reason, i just had never noticed those redish scales in the cleft , i think it’s called. i’ll keep an eye on it, so far it seems okay and hasn’t gotten worse.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelpretzel View Post
    maybe i’m just freaking out for no good reason, i just had never noticed those redish scales in the cleft , i think it’s called. i’ll keep an eye on it, so far it seems okay and hasn’t gotten worse.

Yeah, it's a little reddish there, maybe he bumped his chin on something...but it doesn't appear to have any bleeding or broken skin, maybe a little bruise at most, so I
    really wouldn't lose sleep over it.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

pretzelpretzel (01-17-2020)