Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,819

4 members and 2,815 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Why is she wiggling? 🤔

So today was the first time I’ve ever fed a snake. My ball python ate a small mouse about 5hrs ago. I’m extremely paranoid/worried about her regurgitating for any reason. I’ve checked on her like 3x since then and each time I see her wiggling. Not like active around her enclosure, but in her hide, flexing different parts of her body. Is this normal? Is she just trying to push the mouse along? Think she could still be hungry? Any opinions would be appreciated ☺️

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    What length of time are we talking about here? It's normal for a snake to do some wriggling to push their swallowed prey halfway down their long body to reach
    their stomach, but this normally doesn't take very long after a normal meal; if you fed over-sized prey that poses more difficulty to swallow that might explain what
    you're seeing. Same goes for prey that is swallowed backwards, or something they're not used to, like chickens (take a look at the claws on those feet!). So has she
    been "wiggling" for 5 hours??? If so that does seem strange...maybe it was swallowed in an awkward way? But there's nothing you can do about it, & I'd advise you
    NOT to feed anything else right now. "Wiggling" is not a sign of hunger, and when you feed a snake additional prey after a meal THAT'S what can cause a regurge.
    They only have so much when it comes to digestive enzymes...adding food later disrupts digestion of the first item, & there isn't enough for both so up it all comes!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Why is she wiggling? 🤔

Honestly I'm not an expert but I'd just leave the snake alone for 48hrs. There's nothing you can do at this point to prevent anything - the snake has eaten and if it regurges then you can worry. I'm in the same boat - my baby has just eaten and I'm worried I'll accidentally spook her into regurge (she balled up when I was probing her temps...), but I'm relaxing myself but leaving her alone and just letting her sort it out herself. If your snake regurges I'm sure everyone will be able to help. Maybe your snek is getting comfy or something?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk