Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,957

1 members and 2,956 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question Ball python won't eat and won't leave hide

I've had my baby ball python, Kaa, for just over a week now. At first I struggled with temps, but they're fine now. I have a heating pad on the hot side (with a hide over it) and then a ceramic lamp over that. Then a UTH on the side of the tank on the cool side. I have 3 hides and a cork log in total, as well as some fake plants. The issue is that he hasn't eaten yet, and he doesn't seem to leave the hide on the warm side (I use a thermostat). I did film him on my phone all night and saw one 10 second clip of him around his water bowl, then nothing else. It was too dark to see any other areas. And that was at about 3am. When I presented a frozen thawed baby rat, he pokes his head out of his hide, flicks his tongue, then slowly hides again. At one point he came out like 2 inches and rested his head on it. I'm not sure how old he is, but the pet store said they had him for just over 2 weeks and he ate twice. Please let me know if it's normal for your new snake to not eat for over a week if it's a new home.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What are your exact temps? How do you measure them? (type of thermometer and placement)

How your hides tight?

How big is your snake (weight)?

How big is the enclosure?

How often have you handled him in that first week?

What this snake eating F/T rats prior to you getting it?
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    It's normal, back off & let him settle in for another week. And no handling! (have you been handling him?) I'd suggest no handling any new snakes until they've
    had time to settle in (new homes are frightening & confusing to snakes...& that blocks their appetite for a while). Your baby BP was eating once a week ("twice in
    the 2 weeks they had him") so he's not starving, he just needs to settle in, & then no handling until he's eaten 3 times (at normal intervals of a week between each
    meal) for best results. He might also be just starting to go into a shed also, but just wait & see, do your best not to stress him. Make sure there's not a lot of activity
    around his cage...best located in a quiet area. Many newly-rehomed snakes don't eat for a week or much longer, so don't worry...just be patient. Young snakes like
    yours usually adapt faster than older ones.

and by the way
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Stoola (01-18-2020)

Thanks

Re: Ball python won't eat and won't leave hide

Thanks for the reply! I handled him once to observe his body since he had some stuck shed from when I got him at the pet store. I think he's doing better now and more relaxed. He's in his humid hide which I just bought him, so hopefully that gets the shed off.

Thanks

The temps are 75-79 on the cold side and 94 basking spot, with the warm side varying around 85-80. both hides on the cold and hot side are the same. They're small and he fits snug. I'm not sure of his weight. He is just over 1 ft long. He's in a 30 gallon but I've filled it with lots of things so he feels more enclosed. He was eating F/T rats when I got him

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoola For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-18-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I agree with just letting him get more acclimated to his new home. I'd try feeding him again in 7-10 days.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoola View Post
    The temps are 75-79 on the cold side and 94 basking spot, with the warm side varying around 85-80. both hides on the cold and hot side are the same. They're small and he fits snug. I'm not sure of his weight. He is just over 1 ft long. He's in a 30 gallon but I've filled it with lots of things so he feels more enclosed. He was eating F/T rats when I got him
    The hides sound fine, your basking spot* might be a few degrees too hot, IF you're measuring the temp. accurately, otherwise temps. are OK too. (*best not over 90*)
    That's very helpful that he was already eating F/T rats too...so just be patient...let him settle in. The "30 gal. tank"- is it long, or tall? Either way, with clutter it's fine IMO.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)