Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,919

0 members and 2,919 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Pebbles

Thanks

Pebbles

He is a Male (I think) and I got him about 2 weeks ago. I bought him from pet smart but he is a solid 6 inches longer than babies I've gotten from them in the past. They said he had arrived 2 days prior to my adoption, but it just doesn't seem right could they be lying or is it actually possible that he is just a bigger snake? we fed him 1.5 weeks after he got moved in but for he hardly comes out of his hide other than for water. Is he stressed? He doesn't really have any coverage as his terrarium is pretty bare.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    Might be a yearling that's been "maintenance fed", impossible to say though. His arrival @ Petsmart has nothing to do with his age, they buy from breeders & most breeders have some hold-backs or unsold snakes.

Yes, of COURSE he's stressed, as are all snakes in a new home. It's scary, they have no idea how or why their whole world they knew vanished & now they're some
    other place. Best practice is not to handle any new snake until they've taken 3 meals without a hassle. They need time to settle in.

Why is his terrarium "bare"? That's also probably why he's hiding...should have 2 hides at least, one on cool side of cage & one on the warm side, + some "clutter" will help. Best if his cage is in a quiet location too. Can even cover part of the outside for his privacy, & keep kids & other pets away too, if you have them.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-13-2020 at 12:46 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Re: Pebbles

Yeah, they need cover, they are covert animals.

Kaos Balls

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    And about "cover", I know that many here like to use artificial plants, but when your new snake is being quarantined to make sure there's no mites, you probably
    don't want to invest in decor that will have to be thrown away should any mites show up, but that doesn't mean your snake should have no "clutter" to help him
    feel secure. Snakes enjoy all the crevices & folds of crumpled paper to hide in & under (paper towels or other kinds of clean disposable paper) -they aren't "interior
    decorators" that actually care about appearances, as long as they can hide. Cardboard rolls from paper towels will also be used, & you can even put them between
    layers of paper...all of that will make them feel safer, encourage them to explore & ultimately settle in as good pets. Clean cardboard boxes can also be modified &
    used for snakes, & tossed when soiled after they've served their purpose.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-18-2020)