Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 823

10 members and 813 guests
Most users ever online was 5,577, 11-08-2019 at 08:53 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

MasonC2K (43)

» Stats

Members: 66,762
Threads: 241,480
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, MorphFan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,822 Times in 1,955 Posts

Re: How often should I try F/T during transition from live

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    I agree with the others, offering once a week is plenty, a little longer is ok too.
    If you want him to switch, it's better not to give him live again because they tend to want that again. Once I get them to take f/t, I don't offer live again unless months go by and weight is dropping which has rarely happened and I've converted many snakes. The good thing is he has taken f/t, so that is the hardest step. At this point, you just need to let him get hungry enough to take it again. 99% of the time they eventually get used to it and take them weekly. If you want him on f/t regularly you need to stop feeding live. I know it's hard because you want them to eat but you need to stay away from live if you want him to take f/t consistently.

^^ I totally agree. Once you commit to making the switch to f/t you shouldn't offer live again. I'd try at least 3 months of f/t offerings and if it still hasn't eaten then I'd give the snake a very small live feeder and start the process over. I'd wait at least 2 weeks after a refused meal to offer food again. That being said, BPs don't necessarily have to be on rats imo since they're not very big and there's other prey items they can live on like mice and asf's.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 01-13-2020 at 05:51 PM.
    2.2 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Bredl's Python, 1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BO,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12