Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,858

2 members and 2,856 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

This is Buttercup!

Since I joined the snake world I've always had my eye on woma pythons. I think they are absolutely beautiful with their yellow and brown pattern and a crimson belly. I went to a local expo today expecting to only buy longer feeding tongs since this expo usually only has a bunch of bps and wild caught animals, just not my cup of tea. I happened to stumble across a booth that had a beautiful baby woma so I snatched her up immediately! I got a few pictures before setting up her quarantine tub. Here she is!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    🤘!MM4L!🤘

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-12-2020),aurum (01-12-2020),Bodie (01-13-2020),Bogertophis (01-12-2020),Craiga 01453 (01-12-2020),dakski (01-12-2020),dr del (01-18-2020),jmcrook (01-12-2020),richardhind1972 (01-12-2020)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: This is Buttercup!

Fantastic colour and markings, congratulations on the new pick up

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Toad37 (01-12-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    What a sweet find, & such a cool face! Congratulations! You were at the right place at the right time.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-12-2020 at 04:55 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Toad37 (01-12-2020)

Thanks
    I love woma’s. I wish more people would keep them. I have a 5ft male who was never handled before I got him. He can be a handful. For him opening the tank means food. He sort of calms down once out of the tank but I really don’t trust him. My female is much younger. I get her out a few times a week and she is a sweetheart.

Woma’s are the opposite of ball pythons. They always eat and do well with frequent handling. In fact, in my opinion they make better pets when you get them out a few times a week. They need to learn your hand isn’t food.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzJohn For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-12-2020),Toad37 (01-12-2020)

Thanks

I was definitely in the right place at the right time today. And it just dawned on me that I completely forgot to get the longer feeding tongs which is what I originally went there for! That's what I get for getting excited.

I've read that they are very good driven which can be misconstrued into "bitey". I think I might consider hook training her. When she's full grown I don't really want to take a bite from her.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    I was definitely in the right place at the right time today. And it just dawned on me that I completely forgot to get the longer feeding tongs which is what I originally went there for! That's what I get for getting excited.

I've read that they are very good driven which can be misconstrued into "bitey". I think I might consider hook training her. When she's full grown I don't really want to take a bite from her.
    So that means another trip to an expo! I wonder what else you'll find instead of tongs? (I can understand the distraction though, just teasing ya!)

I've never kept or even held a woma, but that's my understanding as well, that they're really food driven. Hook training would probably be a wise idea, I don't know if scent would work on them or not?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    So that means another trip to an expo! I wonder what else you'll find instead of tongs? (I can understand the distraction though, just teasing ya!)

I've never kept or even held a woma, but that's my understanding as well, that they're really food driven. Hook training would probably be a wise idea, I don't know if scent would work on them or not?
    There just so happens to be another expo next month! who knows what I'll find, maybe a male woma?
    Not sure about the scent thing I just know they're very excited to eat at any given time so I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post

Womas can be sneaky. Hand in cage could very well get a feeding response. They can also bite out of the blue. They will push their nose against you and wait a second, then decide your food. The bites aren’t really bad at all.

The thing you need to do to avoid bites is not let them associate your hand with food. The male I have was in a pet store for over a year. While the care was fine, they never really took it out and held him. When I asked about him, I was told he bites every time you take him out. When that did not match what I’d learned from research, I decided to get him any ways, the worst case sanario he would be a great display animal. I did ask that they probe him to make share of the sex. It was funny watching them try to hold my new snake. Two grown men, with experience keeping large snakes, were clearly intimidated by a four foot woma. When I first got him, I held him twice a day for at least 10 minutes. He did bite me a few times, but he has really settled down. It’s been several months since he’s bit me. I don’t trust him entirely, he does occasionally try to coil my arm, without the bite.

The thing is, he has never demonstrated any fear of me. His bites were attempts at feeding. Once I got him to learn my hand meant leaving the tank and not food he has been great. I would subjest hook training and maybe feeding out of her tank. My young girl has never, ever tried to bite me. I think getting a young one and handling it a few times a week will held keep them from becoming overly food aggressive.
    Last edited by AzJohn; 01-12-2020 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Very nice pickup! I really enjoyed seeing the Woma at Brookfield Zoo before we moved.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie