Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,895

1 members and 2,894 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

New Ball Python Age???

I recently got a new python. She is quite small but I have already fed her twice, but she has yet to shed her first time with me. Please take note that I did, unfortunately buy her from a pet store, therefore I do not know how old she is or what she she is. On my behalf, I’ve done tons and tons of research and have come to the conclusion that she’s a pastel, possible lesser. I also “popped” her today and found out she was a female! Her next feeding is due Sunday/Monday. But after doing EVEN more research, I realized I might not be feeding her as much as I should. She’s been eating one frozen/thawed baby mouse every 4-6 days successfully, meaning she is old enough to have been off live mice. Due to the fact that I don’t know how old she is, I don’t know how often I should feed her and what size mouse/rat she needs. I’m going to purchase a scale soon, but I need help figuring out what to do from there.

Here’s a picture of her:

Thanks

Re: New Ball Python Age???

morph*

Thanks
    Once you get the scale update with her weights. I have a male that was hatched in July of 19 that looks about the same size. Problem is no two snakes grow and the same rate and I am assuming males and females won't grow at the same rate. There is a chart on here showing what size you should feed. My male that is about that size ate rat pups the first couple times and now has been eating small/weaned rats that weigh around 30-40 grams. My snake was 278 grams last measure.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Midwest For This Useful Post:

bbb100 (01-12-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Length and weight are not an indicative of age there are way too many variables, from size out of the eggs, to feeding frequency to fast to genetics, I have seen 1 year old animals in the 200 grams like I have seen 3 months old in the 200 grams, I also have seen 18 months old tipping the scale at 1800 grams while other barely were 600 grams.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (01-12-2020),bbb100 (01-12-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

"I recently got a new python. She is quite small but I have already fed her twice, but she has yet to shed her first time with me. Please take note that I did, unfortunately buy her from a pet store, therefore I do not know how old she is or what she she is. On my behalf, I’ve done tons and tons of research and have come to the conclusion that she’s a pastel, possible lesser. I also “popped” her today and found out she was a female! Her next feeding is due Sunday/Monday. But after doing EVEN more research, I realized I might not be feeding her as much as I should. She’s been eating one frozen/thawed baby mouse every 4-6 days successfully, meaning she is old enough to have been off live mice. Due to the fact that I don’t know how old she is, I don’t know how often I should feed her and what size mouse/rat she needs. I’m going to purchase a scale soon, but I need help figuring out what to do from there."

You should feed her every 7 days at this age, and that number increases as they become an adult. So pick a feeding day and feed on that day. Since your snake has probably had it's first 3-5 meals and it is more likely under 200 grams so you probably should feed her a small mouse (12-17 grams) or a rat fuzzy (10-19 grams.)

The next step is above 200 grams and is a rat pup (20-29 grams) or a adult mouse (18-32 grams)

Kitchen scales are pretty cheap at Walmart, that is where I got mine.

Last edited by ballpythonsrock2; 01-12-2020 at 11:28 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

bbb100 (01-12-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

bbb100 (01-12-2020)