Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,873

1 members and 2,872 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shedding

Thanks

Shedding

Hi everyone I'm kinda new to all this had my blue eyed lucie about 5 weeks now it definitely looks like shes going to have her first shed but I'm not sure if she is having a hard time or dehydrated she has gone all wrinkly and just generally doesnt look right. She has a constant supply of water there for if she either wants a drink or to soak in. I am being told conflicting things as to wether it's not humid enough and there for her and wether to spray her or her viv a little with some water she has things in her viv that she can rub on too she just doesnt seem to want to move which I know is normal but how will she get the skin off if she wont come out I had to take her hide off her to get some pictures she had a crawl around for about 10mins then went back into her hide where she has stayed since and that is the first time she had been out of her hide in a week. I wish I could post a picture to show you but it wont allow me for some reason any advice criticism would be appreciated

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Shedding

Snakes can look wrinkled and dehydrated when going into shed.

What is your humidity level?

If under 55%-60%, raise it a little to help the shed. Higher humidity for a short period will not hurt your BP and will help the shed.

I am assuming all your temps are dialed in and regulated. If not, and the tank is too cold, or too hot, raising humidity could hurt the BP.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Albert420 (01-12-2020),Craiga 01453 (01-12-2020),Lord Sorril (01-12-2020),Natalierose (01-12-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Snakes can look wrinkled and dehydrated when going into shed.

What is your humidity level?

If under 55%-60%, raise it a little to help the shed. Higher humidity for a short period will not hurt your BP and will help the shed.

I am assuming all your temps are dialed in and regulated. If not, and the tank is too cold, or too hot, raising humidity could hurt the BP.
    The above is the best advice you will find all day.

You can download tapatalk from the app store and post pictures from there , easy as 123.

If your husbandry is on point just leave the snake alone , the snake is having a 'Spa day'
    If you haven't learned something new today ,,,, go listen to: Gang Starr - Moment of truth. ​R.I.P

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert420 For This Useful Post:

Natalierose (01-12-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert420 View Post

You can download tapatalk from the app store and post pictures from there , easy as 123.

If your husbandry is on point just leave the snake alone , the snake is having a 'Spa day'
    Temperature / humidity levels are fine the shop I got her from said it looks like there may be some stuck skin and told me to give her bath for an hour which I am doing now and spray her viv every couple of days which I will start doing. Thank you for the advice everyone I know I'm probably just being panicky first snake as a pet and also her first shed etc just want to make sure I'm doing everything right for her

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert420 View Post

Yes they are all regulated and very rarely have I had to adjust them at all iv been advised to give her a bath and spray the tank a little which is what I am doing now so hopefully this helps her

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I'm confused. Has the snake shed or not??
    First you said it looks like she's going to have her first shed....
    Now you're saying the shop says she has stuck shed?

If the snake hasn't shed yet there's absolutely no need for a bath. They know how to shed, they've been doing it for thousands and thousands of years without our help. And even if there is stuck shed, an hour is WAY too long of a soak.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Natalierose View Post
    Hi everyone I'm kinda new to all this had my blue eyed lucie about 5 weeks now it definitely looks like shes going to have her first shed but I'm not sure if she is having a hard time or dehydrated she has gone all wrinkly and just generally doesnt look right. She has a constant supply of water there for if she either wants a drink or to soak in. I am being told conflicting things as to wether it's not humid enough and there for her and wether to spray her or her viv a little with some water she has things in her viv that she can rub on too she just doesnt seem to want to move which I know is normal but how will she get the skin off if she wont come out I had to take her hide off her to get some pictures she had a crawl around for about 10mins then went back into her hide where she has stayed since and that is the first time she had been out of her hide in a week. I wish I could post a picture to show you but it wont allow me for some reason any advice criticism would be appreciated
    First off, are her eyes still very clouded up yet? or have they gone to "clear" (fairly normally looking, not "blue & foggy")?

Many ppl who are new to keeping snakes expect that a snake will shed while they are clouded up...but that is not correct- they cloud up first, then go "clear" -their body
    secretes some fluid between old & new skin, so they may look as if they already shed but they didn't. It's a little like how you can see thru some kinds of paper when you
    moisten it. It takes days for a snake to cloud up, & some times a few days "in clear" before they actually shed off the old skin. Exact time it takes varies...you have to be
    patient.

But your description of "all wrinkly" & "doesn't look right" does suggest she may be having trouble, due to inadequate conditions & poor hydration, so a pic
    would really help us to help you.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-12-2020 at 12:56 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

I dont know why it wont let me upload a picture maybe because I am using my phone. It's my only means of internet though and I'm not very computer/technology savvy sorry
    The cloudiness has gone from her eyes now they were like it for a few days but they are back to being clear it was hard to tell with her at first as her eyes are blue anyway she is a blue eyed lucie but then they went cloudy and I saw what everyone meant. The skin started to peel from underneath her mouth but i had to go out so i dont know if anymore skin has come off i will be home soon to her.

Thanks
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/XMFTcZj6kZkAbDPk6 I'm not sure this link will let you view a picture of her have a try

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Natalierose For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-12-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Natalierose View Post
    The cloudiness has gone from her eyes now they were like it for a few days but they are back to being clear it was hard to tell with her at first as her eyes are blue anyway she is a blue eyed lucie but then they went cloudy and I saw what everyone meant. The skin started to peel from underneath her mouth but i had to go out so i dont know if anymore skin has come off i will be home soon to her.
    So the answer is yes, she HAS gone to "clear" & now needs help as she is stuck in her old skin. This can happen for various reasons: humidity too low in cage, not drinking enough water, being fed while in shed (some snakes can do both, but probably not yours; both digestion & shedding pulls water from the snake's body, & many cannot do both simultaneously without getting into trouble shedding, as yours has now).

Encourage her to drink water (dip her face to her bowl, or gently hold her so slow dribbling water from faucet runs over her face...most snakes will drink), & put her in a very humid hide with very damp moss or a very damp terrycloth towel under & over her. Make sure the water isn't cold, just luke-warm. This will take some time & patience to help.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-12-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert420 (01-13-2020),Natalierose (01-12-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast