Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,125

0 members and 3,125 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Freedom Breeder heat tape/thermostat set up

Hey guys, this is probably a somewhat silly question, but can someone explain to me (in very easy to understand terms, lol) how you set up a thermostat to be safely used with Freedom Breeder racks? I'm having a hard time visualizing it and haven't had luck finding anything to explain it online. I know they have heat tape on each individual level attached to a metal plate. I know where you should place a probe. But from videos I've seen, you can successfully run one of their racks with a Herpstat 2 or something similar, with one probe near the top and one near the bottom of the system, so how are the individual heat tapes wired to make that possible? (ie, versus needing to plug each one individually into a thermostat?) Are the individual heat tapes actually wired together to be run off one thermostat?

It's looking like we are going to transition our BP's to a FB rack, so I'm trying to get a better idea of how they work. I'm very, very new to racks and their specific requirements.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Re: Freedom Breeder heat tape/thermostat set up

I think I figured it out. The heat tape plugs are plugged into 2 power strips, and each power strip is plugged into a Herpstat port. Then you can place one probe towards the top and one towards the bottom. Is that how it works with FB?
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie