Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,336

3 members and 3,333 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Probe placement with RHP?

Ok, I just got my new RHP, which is running in a bare room for 24 hours to "offgas." I'm a little confused as to where to put the probe for my VE-300 thermostat. It looks like the instructions that came with the RHP say to hang the probe under the RHP (so between the RHP and the floor of the tank). Does this mean the probe should not be between the RHP and the ceiling of the tank (where it will be mounted)? I've searched other forums and threads and some of the stickies have photos that no longer work so I figured I'd ask here. Thanks in advance guys, and sorry if this has already been answered somewhere else.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

Thanks
    I drilled a hole in the roof of the cage just behind the panel (between the panel and the back of the cage) and dropped it down 2-3 inches from the top. Set the panel on 84 ish and get ground temp of 90.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Probe placement with RHP?

Quote Originally Posted by O'Mathghamhna View Post
    Ok, I just got my new RHP, which is running in a bare room for 24 hours to "offgas." I'm a little confused as to where to put the probe for my VE-300 thermostat. It looks like the instructions that came with the RHP say to hang the probe under the RHP (so between the RHP and the floor of the tank). Does this mean the probe should not be between the RHP and the ceiling of the tank (where it will be mounted)? I've searched other forums and threads and some of the stickies have photos that no longer work so I figured I'd ask here. Thanks in advance guys, and sorry if this has already been answered somewhere else.
    Great question. I come in the back wall of the PVC enclosures and hang it down about 3/4 of the way. This has made my entire Hotside (once regulated for 12-24 hours) within 2 degrees of what my Herpstats are set to (91).
    All my enclosures are 2’ high, if you have a small PVC enclosure thats 1’ high you may have to keep your Tstat a lot lower to reach the desired ground temp you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 01-11-2020 at 04:46 PM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-12-2020),jmcrook (01-11-2020),O'Mathghamhna (01-12-2020)

Thanks

Re: Probe placement with RHP?

The best advice I can give is try your probe in multiple areas of the enclosures and record your temps until you feel comfortable with the results. In both of my enclosures, I have the probe hanging from the side with the RHP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (01-11-2020),O'Mathghamhna (01-12-2020)

Thanks
    Awesome! Thanks so much everyone! Here is my updated setup. I just got the new hides in Friday along with the RHP and T300, I realize they are a big too big for my sweet girl, so I ordered the next size down. RHP is hanging from the ceiling of the tank on the right side and the probe is hanging underneath it from the top. I may lower the probe a bit more. Also please note those temps and humidity readings are wrong, I just snapped this photo right after setting everything up. Thoughts?

0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

Thanks

Re: Probe placement with RHP?

Quote Originally Posted by O'Mathghamhna View Post
    Awesome! Thanks so much everyone! Here is my updated setup. I just got the new hides in Friday along with the RHP and T300, I realize they are a big too big for my sweet girl, so I ordered the next size down. RHP is hanging from the ceiling of the tank on the right side and the probe is hanging underneath it from the top. I may lower the probe a bit more. Also please note those temps and humidity readings are wrong, I just snapped this photo right after setting everything up. Thoughts?
    As long as your temps are where you need them then it looks good to me. Make sure you are measuring the surface temps (i.e. top of the hide, underneath hide, etc..) using a temp gun and not the temperature gauges you have mounted. They will only monitor the ambient temps and not the surface temps. Otherwise it looks like a good setup.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

O'Mathghamhna (01-13-2020)