Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,027

2 members and 3,025 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Selling excess feeders to pet stores?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    Now I'm curious... Are pet store rats or mice sold as pets really from feeder stock? In other words, can a feeder rat become a pet?

Near me, three stores don't sell live "feeders". So it's $18 for a pet rat an $5 for a mouse. The store that has feeders sells live an frozen. Say you want a large rat an he goes in the back an 90% of the time a white rat comes out. He only puts young rats out, males an females in separate cages. Color sells better then the white ones. If the rats stay around too long gas an go.

So sometimes yes feeders are pets. Pets will have better color an what ever style is "in". Feeders just need to be healthy, color doesn't matter.

My feeder rats are played with daily so them do make good pets. If the kids have a problem one they ask if they can feed a snake I've had more then one mother want a pretty rat for their kid. But they want me to take it back if it doesn't work out. They ask me to find it a good home

Pet means more money. If you want a pet rat a young $6 feeder rat will come from the same $18 pet rat cage in some stores. I'll take $2-5 depending on size for feeders an $10 for blue fancy pets.

If you ever go to a livestock auction watch rabbit prices. Rabbits are under $1 unless it's near Easter or has paper. The kids had too many rex rabbits. Great colors but the wrong time of year. 75 rabbits an the check was $110. Still better then dealing with them! I keep 1 Flemish buck an 5 does (Flemish an mix) for the Boas.
    Last edited by 303_enfield; 01-30-2020 at 08:24 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123