Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,768

0 members and 2,768 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Selling excess feeders to pet stores?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hadn't heard about this (it's been some years since I sold rodents). Is this a nationwide law? Sounds like something that might vary according to state & local laws, but
    we sure don't need more outbreaks of rat bite fever anyway. Thanks for information.

I have no intention of supplying rodents, just like to stay 'current'.
    I honestly couldn’t tell you if it’s federal or state or actually anything. A couple years back I did Google it after the store owner refused, he told me it was a Health law or something and I did find it. But I’m totally ignorant to anything about it. Within two months I’m probably done with Rodents period anyway.. my snakes are all old enough now we’re buying frozen because they now feed less is more cost-effective and obviously a lot less work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-11-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    I honestly couldn’t tell you if it’s federal or state or actually anything. A couple years back I did Google it after the store owner refused, he told me it was a Health law or something and I did find it. But I’m totally ignorant to anything about it. Within two months I’m probably done with Rodents period anyway.. my snakes are all old enough now we’re buying frozen because they now feed less is more cost-effective and obviously a lot less work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may go that route too, one of these days...I'm seriously thinking about it, I've had enough of raising rodents to last me a lifetime.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-11-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Store near me pays $1.50 for small live rats. He buys 50 at a time once a week. He sells live feeders for $6 an pets for $12. The Craigs List sellers get $3 for live in my area.

Find a FB snake or reptile group in your area. People always want a deal. My problem is ASF, I have too many live ones.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-11-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Store near me pays $1.50 for small live rats. He buys 50 at a time once a week. He sells live feeders for $6 an pets for $12. The Craigs List sellers get $3 for live in my area.

Find a FB snake or reptile group in your area. People always want a deal. My problem is ASF, I have too many live ones.
    I considered doing ASF as well but that might be something I get into when my collection gets more substantial. I’m planning on a lot of holdbacks our first full season. I’ve heard ASF are better meals and even help the snakes hold their color better.

$1.50ea and a flip at $6-12 is insane lol. But I definitely wouldn’t mind selling at half retail. If I can pay for their food and bedding then I only have to worry about coco and expanding both operations.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KSballer View Post
    I considered doing ASF as well but that might be something I get into when my collection gets more substantial. I’m planning on a lot of holdbacks our first full season. I’ve heard ASF are better meals and even help the snakes hold their color better.

$1.50ea and a flip at $6-12 is insane lol. But I definitely wouldn’t mind selling at half retail. If I can pay for their food and bedding then I only have to worry about coco and expanding both operations.

ASF are great for Balls an the like. The only reason I raise rats an rabbits is the Boas are adults ASF are the best breeders but are slow growing. While a rat the "right" size on Monday on Friday it's too big. You won't have that problem with ASF.

The only shop that buys rats/mice from hobby breeders sells feeders for less the Petco. When the rats get large or jumbo he gasses 99% of them an freezes them. As he told me, "Young rats are cute so $12 is less then Petco, an I'll take them back when mom thinks they're ugly" (free). I asked if he would buy ASF. He said, "not till I have a pet market for them". Selling them as feeders would cut mice an rats sales. Also, unlike Petco, he sells breeding pairs.

Now, I sell by word of mouth. At school the kids friends parents would call asking where to buy feeders. Then the Bass Club want ASF as bait. An on it goes. Start small an be ready to gas all of them. Cull bad breeders, biters an anything that's a problem. If you get any oddball colors an markings hold them back. I have blue an fawn color rats that the pet trade loves around me. An if you have kids ask which ones are for the snakes. You don't want to feed Jackie to Ralfie

Good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-12-2020)

Thanks

The one pet store that sells ASF here hardly ever has them, and told me the guy they get them from charges $12ea for them. I have a problem snake we got as a 1400g adult that (we were told) ate small rats but she only took mice, so I was looking for something to kick her back into gear lol. Once we get bigger I’ll switch to ASF and keep the rats for hatchlings and snakes we plan to sell. Our rat that gave birth last night only had 3, so now I’m glad we have more pregnant girls.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    $12 each for ASF! I'm rich! Here I thought I was land poor. I better raise my $2 large adult price.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

wnateg (01-12-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    $12 each for ASF! I'm rich! Here I thought I was land poor. I better raise my $2 large adult price.
    Lol that very well could have been just the “we would rather you buy from us” price.

Thanks
    If you do try to sell excess to a pet store I will give you the best case scenario. Sell them where you shop. If you spend your dollars there, they will be more likely to want to work with you in a business capacity. That is a little marketing technique called "following your dollar" and it is especially fruitful with small business owners. Also, a lot of small pet store operate on a tight budget with limited expendable liquid cash. This means that you are likely to get store credit. In most scenarios the best that you can hope for is to get a 50% store credit at their selling price. So, if they are selling a small rat for $3.99 then you are likely to get a store credit for $2.00 for that animal. This is really the best case scenario. You may also want to try bartering. You can offer them things at a wholesale price, for them to order you things at a wholesale price and you do an even exchange. For instance, if you breed ball pythons you might go through a ton of cypress mulch. When you buy a bag you get it at retail price. When they buy a pallet they get it for wholesale price. However, the wholesaler will not sell to you because you do not have a business license. You can work with the small business owner to order you a pallet at their price, and you can trade them the equivalent amount of rodents at a wholesale price for the pallet of cypress mulch. Never expect transactions to exceed a few hundred dollars on either party's end and always expect to be at the mercy of the need of the store owner. They will not always be available as a dump off every time you need to unload a few hundred rats. They are helping you out, so you are at the mercy of their need and not your want. If you keep all of these things in mind, you can avoid disappointment on your end and keep your business relationship strong.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tangooscarmike For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-30-2020),Lord Sorril (01-30-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Now I'm curious... Are pet store rats or mice sold as pets really from feeder stock? In other words, can a feeder rat become a pet?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast