Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,816

1 members and 2,815 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Selling excess feeders to pet stores?

Curious if anyone is doing this. I started a small colony for our 9 ball pythons and some of the breeder rats I picked up were already pregnant. I already had a male in with a female for about a week, so now I possibly have 3-4 pregnant rats which will give me way too many babies. The pet store I’ve been buying feeders from has been SUPER low on their stock. I explained my situation and asked if they would buy what I don’t need. Of course I’ll have to speak with the owner, but any ideas on what would be a fair price for them at various sizes? Is anyone else “wholesaling” their rats?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Can't quote you any prices as I stopped doing this some years ago & it also depends on your location, etc. But for some years I had a pretty good side business
    selling rats, mice & hamsters to local stores, a museum & a few private individuals. Even though I had a house-full of snakes to feed, my rodent production was
    way more than enough for my own needs. It helps to figure out what it costs you to produce them- it's likely to be more than a larger scale source they may be
    using, so unfortunately you'll have to be competitive in your prices. (& they may or may not tell you the truth about what they're paying)

The other thing is that pet stores need reliable sources...you may not have enough to be their constant supplier but it wouldn't hurt to talk it over with the owner.
    (Do they only want live, or can you also sell them frozen excess?) If you plan to do this as more of a business as I did, one thing that helped me is that I could
    give them what other sources could not. Example: They had been selling hamsters sourced from a large supplier that paid NO attention to inbreeding, which resulted
    in "c/b" but inbred hamsters that behaved as feral ones would have, biting viciously & virtually un-tameable; they lost money on them, because instead of selling
    as pets, they had to reduce prices & sell them as snake food. They also lost the trust of some unhappy customers...no one wants a pet hamster that attacks their
    children & bites hard! As a hobbyist, I produced healthy, tame AND attractive hamsters that they "sold like hotcakes", & in addition, since I had "customers"
    that could consume any that didn't measure up, I even guaranteed free replacement (on my next weekly delivery) of any hamsters whose temperament was less
    than perfect. They rarely took me up on that- they didn't need to- but it assured them they never lost money, & it cost me nothing while gaining good will & trust.
    If you work with them, both you and locally-owned pet stores will come out ahead...good luck!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

KSballer (01-11-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't what I do is I keep part of my collection on live part on F/T so when I over produce I euthanize everything that is 6 to 8 weeks and freeze it.

One thing I learned is while you might over produce at times other times you might fall short.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alien (01-11-2020),GoingPostal (01-30-2020),KSballer (01-11-2020),PartySnake13 (01-11-2020)

Thanks

Re: Selling excess feeders to pet stores?

I went downstairs to check and one is giving birth right now lol. One of the girls she’s in with keeps taking the kittens and putting them in “her” nest. Just spoke with the store manager as the owner isn’t in today but he said they would prefer live, so I guess I’ll call on Monday and see if they want something consistent or just a booster to get the back up to demand. I appreciate the tips. The community here is small and spread out, so I may be able to sell my extra privately. There’s 3 pet stores selling live, one is low, one has bad husbandry, and the other doesn’t sell anything other than mice and nothing smaller than small rats live. That store feeds all their snakes mice until they can take small rats, so that’s how they run their shop.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    I don't what I do is I keep part of my collection on live part on F/T so when I over produce I euthanize everything that is 6 to 8 weeks and freeze it.

One thing I learned is while you might over produce at times other times you might fall short.
    That’s something I’ll have to look into. My wife hates rats in the house. If I start loading the freezer....

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KSballer View Post
    That’s something I’ll have to look into. My wife hates rats in the house. If I start loading the freezer....
    That's why spending $150 in a chest freezer was a great investment for me.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

lew-e (01-31-2020)

Thanks
    Gotta have a good freezer when you live with snakes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-30-2020)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

New laws actually prohibit this if the store follows policy. Since the outbreaks with rat bite fever all rodents that are sold to stores were supposed to be have been from testing animals only. I even had a problem with a mom and pop store that wouldn’t buy from me. I wanted to get rid of hundreds of rats and even though they wanted them they just wouldn’t risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (01-12-2020),Bogertophis (01-11-2020)

Thanks
    I posted an ad on craigslist for my area selling mice and ASFs. I now have a few repeat customers who come to me monthly for their mice. I sell my mice for just $1 each and they sell fast. I actually still profit off the mice, after buying supplies and using some for my snakes too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Naginii For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (01-12-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    New laws actually prohibit this if the store follows policy. Since the outbreaks with rat bite fever all rodents that are sold to stores were supposed to be have been from testing animals only. I even had a problem with a mom and pop store that wouldn’t buy from me. I wanted to get rid of hundreds of rats and even though they wanted them they just wouldn’t risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hadn't heard about this (it's been some years since I sold rodents). Is this a nationwide law? Sounds like something that might vary according to state & local laws, but
    we sure don't need more outbreaks of rat bite fever anyway. Thanks for information.

I have no intention of supplying rodents, just like to stay 'current'.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-11-2020 at 05:11 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast