Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,992

0 members and 2,992 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Sexing my ball python

I recently got my first ball python almost 2 weeks ago. He/She has successfully eaten both times I tried to feed them. But they still have yet to shed. I got him/her from a pet store so I’m unsure if the morph and sex of my snake. I’ve done a bit of research and have come to the conclusion that sexing a ball python can only be accurately named if done by probing or popping. But I’ve also learned that both can be harmful to your snake, particularly probing. I’ve seen a few tutorials on how to pop but I’m too scared to try, because I don’t want hurt them. Unfortunately, there are very few exotic veterinarians where I live. That is why I’m opting to try and “pop” him/her myself. Is this a good idea? Please leave any tips/tricks

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Sexing my ball python

Quote Originally Posted by bbb100 View Post
    I recently got my first ball python almost 2 weeks ago. He/She has successfully eaten both times I tried to feed them. But they still have yet to shed. I got him/her from a pet store so I’m unsure if the morph and sex of my snake. I’ve done a bit of research and have come to the conclusion that sexing a ball python can only be accurately named if done by probing or popping. But I’ve also learned that both can be harmful to your snake, particularly probing. I’ve seen a few tutorials on how to pop but I’m too scared to try, because I don’t want hurt them. Unfortunately, there are very few exotic veterinarians where I live. That is why I’m opting to try and “pop” him/her myself. Is this a good idea? Please leave any tips/tricks
    If you never pop an BP before chances how you will not manage to accurately sex it by yourself, sure you can watch videos however the one thing missing is that a video does not demonstrate how much pressure you need to apply, that you learn in person with someone showing you and guiding you. Most common mistake I have seen from people I thought how to sex a snake is that they do not apply enough pressure.

Find a herper near you that can teach you.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

bbb100 (01-11-2020),Craiga 01453 (01-11-2020)