Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,869

1 members and 2,868 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Lightbulb Best way to light up tank for viewing?

Hi everyone! Been a long time since I've been on the forum since everything's been going smoothly!

Not really sure if this belongs in husbandry and I'm sure it's been asked before, but just need quick advice! I've been on a goose chase it seems trying to figure this out.

Today we switched my ball python from a 20 gal to a 40 gal. I upgraded to a very nice large tank with a nice background and decor, and my family and I really enjoy watching her roam around at night. The only problem is that it's kind of hard to see in the dark lol

I would like to light up my tank for viewing purposes (not heat, though a small amount would be fine, I have a lightless bulb I use for those nights where the temps are low). I just want like a subtle moonlight effect across the whole tank to put on for maybe an hour before I go to bed so I can enjoy watching her do her snake things since shes asleep all day.

If any of you have showcase tanks, what do you use or know that people use? I want something that wont really bother her, I've heard they can/cant see blue/red LEDS and that it doesnt matter. I've also heard black lights are fine/bad for your snake. I just want something that will show off my nice tank well and not disturb her too much like flicking on a bright light switch might. Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Best way to light up tank for viewing?

You might not want to hear this but any visible light spectrum can be seen by your snake, I struggled with the same correct answer but didn't find a answer because there is no alternative.
    They don't make good display snakes and REALLY don't like light. Hence me deciding against installing display lights. I found that, because i see them so little I found that when you do see them out and about you appreciate it so much more, I know you said you will keep it on for just a hour which is prob fine , I just try to mimic as if they had to be in nature this way your animals thrive and their is no outlets with Christmas lights in Africa, we don't even have electricity right now due to loadshedding in South Africa
    If you haven't learned something new today ,,,, go listen to: Gang Starr - Moment of truth. ​R.I.P

Thanks
    Try a dimmable LED strip or undercabinet LED light fixture? Think full-moon lighting, not midday sun.

Thanks

Re: Best way to light up tank for viewing?

They make a moonlight bulb. Of course even in the wild there would be some light from the moon and stars. I don't think having a din light on for a short period of time would bother your snake much as long as you don't leave it on all night.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk