Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,669

1 members and 2,668 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Give them a Call, a Hug, a Visit today

As cliche' as it sounds, "Life is Short".

I lost my Mother recently. Normally I wouldn't share this type of thing but it hit me more profoundly because I also found out a couple days later that my cousin was in hospice and probably will not survive to the end of this month. I hadn't seen him in years because of geography but talked with him from time to time. He never let on about his situation until now. While attending to my Mother's funeral I made it a point to go see him. It is so hard leaving and knowing we are likely saying goodbye for the last time, especially when we could have had more time if I had only known sooner.

This thread is not about my loss. This is about not wasting precious time. As I stated, I don't normally share, so I haven't mentioned this before. However, since August 1, 2015 I have lost my Dad to heart failure. 6 days later I lost my Sister to a heart attack. 3 days after her I lost my Stepfather to leukemia. My favorite Uncle passed in 2017 from heart failure. One of my life long friends of over 30 years lost his battle with stomach cancer over the Christmas holidays last year. I lost my Mom this past Christmas Eve to complications from dementia. Now, I will soon lose my cousin to lung cancer. Please, before you all start sending your condolences, in which I do appreciate the gesture, I'd prefer if you would do this.

If there is someone out there that you have been thinking about giving a call or a visit, and you just haven't gotten around to it, don't put it off any longer. If there is someone you've had a falling out with and you've been thinking about reconciling, do it or at least try as soon as possible. If there is someone you've been afraid to approach with your feelings because your not sure they'll reciprocate, just place your cards on the table and let the chips fall where they may. Rejection be damned.

Life is short! This is not a dress rehearsal. This is the "Big Show" and it only plays once. Unlike Netflix, there are no reruns. You really should make the most of this and do it in real time, for you and for others.

Just my $0.02

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-10-2020),bcr229 (01-10-2020),Bodie (01-10-2020),Bogertophis (01-10-2020),Craiga 01453 (01-10-2020),EL-Ziggy (01-10-2020),jmcrook (01-10-2020),Luvyna (01-10-2020),Sonny1318 (01-10-2020),Toad37 (01-10-2020)

Thanks

Re: Give them a Call, a Hug, a Visit today

Well said!!!! I lost my mother last month (Dec 15th). I was fortunate to be able to say goodbye and was with her when she took her last breath. It was surreal experience. Still can't believe she is gone. Great post!
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bodie For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (01-10-2020)

Thanks

My sincere condolences to the both of you. I recently lost my step-dad and my mom is 90. I am keenly aware of the fact that each phone call that we enjoy may be our last.

<><Peace
    5.1 "chitlins"
    0.0.2 Royal Pythons
    0.1 German Shepherds
    6.0 black short-haired cats
    1.0 long-haired grey tabby cat
    1.1 grey short-haired "ding-bat" kittens
    0.2 black long-haired cats

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dadofsix For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (01-11-2020)

Thanks

I truly am sorry for your loss. Your post hit me in a deep spot. I lost my mother suddenly to an aneurysm when I was a teenager. Being the rebellious teenager that I was I didn't get to give her a proper goodbye or even tell her that I love her since it was such a sudden death. The last conversation I had with her the night before she died was on the phone and I just remember being rude because I was mad about something. Not a day goes by that I don't think about it still and regret it so much even after 15 years.

Life is short and we take way too much for granted. I read your post and called my grandmother to tell her I love her. She raised my brothers and I after my mother's passing and now she's not in great health. Thank you for sharing this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (01-11-2020)