Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,237

1 members and 3,236 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Am I doing ok for my BP?

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I honestly didn't read through everything, but did I read right that you have your snake with you while driving and shopping???????

And are you familiar with the word "anthropomorphism"???
    I can more than understand you not reading it all I typed it up in the middle of the night and was very tired. Yes I did indeed say she rides on my wrist or hoodie pocket, I kinda made it out like it was a lot more often, and not that I'm trying to justify it but I did consider the fact that snakes are a common phobia so when she has gone into the store or around other people I concealed her either in my sleeve or my pocket. And as far anthropomorphism goes you must be misunderstanding me. I don't think we're best friends (although I like her more to than people ;P) I don't think she is lonely. I just know alot of the time she acknowledges my presence if I walk by and when I reach in she often climbs on.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wrp0101 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-13-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wrp0101 View Post
    I can more than understand you not reading it all I typed it up in the middle of the night and was very tired. Yes I did indeed say she rides on my wrist or hoodie pocket, I kinda made it out like it was a lot more often, and not that I'm trying to justify it but I did consider the fact that snakes are a common phobia so when she has gone into the store or around other people I concealed her either in my sleeve or my pocket. And as far anthropomorphism goes you must be misunderstanding me. I don't think we're best friends (although I like her more to than people ;P) I don't think she is lonely. I just know alot of the time she acknowledges my presence if I walk by and when I reach in she often climbs on.
    My retic always pops out when I am near and seems interested, but if I stuck my hand in, there would be blood. The point being, reading into your snakes behavior can be a guessing game that can be risky for the health of your snake.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    My only advice is to be SURE. You use a lot of language like "I think" and "as far as I can tell" when it comes to her temps and humidity and such. And I'm not sure if that's your way of speaking, or if you legit are guessing.

Don't guess. Get the tools you need to be sure if you don't have them: thermostat, hygrometer, etc. This will ensure beyond a doubt that she's happy and comfortable in her cage. My first thought is that she's trying to stay near your body heat (which is a steady, comforting 98 degrees) when you try to put her in her tank because the tank is too cold.

Also, not a great idea to take your snake out in public. Too many unknowns: temperature fluctuations that can make her sick, things she can pick up to make her sicks (mites), and you never know how people are going to react either. Just a heads up.
    I finished my OP almost 6am in the morning with no sleep I'm sorry there are alot of typos and yes I did say "as far as I can all her temps and everything are pretty on point" not sure that really qualifies as "a lot" especially when right before that I state that I did get digital thermo/hygro along with her enclosure and directly after I mentioned I had to buy a ceramic heat emitter to get her temp right but yes according to the digital thermometer her basking spot stays right 90-92 according to my digital hygrometer humidity can fluctuate a bit between 60 and 65 the only part I'm not entirely sure of is ambient temperature my other digital thermometer quite working so I just put an analog thermometer for the time being until I get a AP375 with VE300. However it stays right around 80 ( but I've read not to use them because they can be a good bit off) But like I said every comment, rid bit of advice and criticism us appreciated.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate you answering in an understanding way as well as your honesty.

Moving forward, it really is best to leave the snake at home, though. As you mentioned, yes people unfortunately are afraid of snakes, but that's really not the main issue. The main issue is that snakes are not social animals and nothing positive can be gained by bringing your pet with you. As keepers, it's our responsibility to do best by our animals, and snakes do best when left at home.

I appreciate your excitement and enthusiasm for your new pet, but unfortunately, bringing her with you is putting your desires above her best interest.

Again, thanks for your reply. I do appreciate it (too many people take it far too personally when they ask questions and hear the truth and don't hear exactly what they want to hear).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert420 View Post
    OP I must agree with Craig on this one i found it just too odd something is up. This thread didn't leave my mind .... another thing to consider is how big is the hides you are using ? They like a tight fit, very tight if the hide is too big they will search the viv/container constantly and only rest in the hide for short periods of time. Sometimes they wont even use it for a quick rest.

Clutter the viv/container with fake plants as much as possible i have 3 hides in my big viv, but my ball is happy there is almost not space for a mouse as he grows i will take a few things out but replace them with smaller objects, they really are shy animals by nature, very shy. Its true each snake has their own personality etc, but not to this extent.

Like the rest said maybe invest in a second thermo gun to make sure i triple check my vivs 3 times a day not open and close but i check that stuff is in order.

There is no way for them to tell us they are unhappy unlike a dog or cat, best is to stick with what has been a proven all these years.
    I know you might not like this but i think its best to get stuff on point and start from scratch and triple check everything and get the snake into a safer routine. The streets is not really a place for a snake.
    I'll be honest its been a little on this side of disheartening so far, I've got the understanding this needs to change and y'all can call it anthropomorphism if that's the way you feel I suppose (even though it's a complete misuse of the word) but everything points to something isn't right and if whatever it is causes my snake discomfort in her aquarium to the point of staying on me so long then yeah I'm gonna let her hangout with me as much as she wants. Some of these replies it's more like people just wanting to pick apart my post and find one instance where I misspoke just a tad or not read much at all but pull out a relatively extremist view.
    However this reply has legitimate help for me.

The hides that came with her are put up she outgrew them maybe 2 months into having her. She would try to hide in them and would end up picking them up and sticking out once she started to put on weight. I had ordered 2 primate skull hide from Amazon but didn't know they where wide open in the back so I ended up going to the nearest PetSmart and actually managed to find the same rock hide in multiple sizes so I got her 2 new ones and they do fit nice and snug and as I said previously during the day she spends all her time in one or the other but mostly the warm side but a fair bit of time in the cool side.
    Now to the part that I like "clutter the Viv/container with fake plants" you say... I think I missed out on this tip. Ramona's tank is just this, 60 gallon aquarium with mesh lid mostly covered with plywood for humidity, a zoomedic under tank heater (I think it's just worn out because even directly touching it it's not very warm) sits directly under her warm hide, Fluker's heat lamp with 100w black ceramic heat bulb turned down just enough to let the temp stay steady and warm for her. She came with a massive water dish maybe a 1/4 inch deep but still takes a whole bottle of water to fill, it takes up the majority of the middle of the tank. Then she has her two rock hides and a branch that was in her enclosure when I got her she does like to chill on that at night sometimes. But that's it, guess next order of business is new small but deep water dish and add plants maybe another hide or two?

And as far as your last bit... You might think I might not like it but that's why I turned to yall, for advice. I had already had plans of buying a rack almost have the money. I decided to go with animal plastics rack but use VE-300 thermostat and buy the AP375 which is an 8 shelf combo juv/adult rack with 3" heat tape. The only reason I havent redone her tank is I couldn't figure out any problem maybe she need the plants in there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I appreciate you answering in an understanding way as well as your honesty.

Moving forward, it really is best to leave the snake at home, though. As you mentioned, yes people unfortunately are afraid of snakes, but that's really not the main issue. The main issue is that snakes are not social animals and nothing positive can be gained by bringing your pet with you. As keepers, it's our responsibility to do best by our animals, and snakes do best when left at home.

I appreciate your excitement and enthusiasm for your new pet, but unfortunately, bringing her with you is putting your desires above her best interest.

Again, thanks for your reply. I do appreciate it (too many people take it far too personally when they ask questions and hear the truth and don't hear exactly what they want to hear).
    You ever drive a truck with a BP wrapped on your wrist? Load /unload said vehicle in 85 degree heat with a hoodie while having to carefully consider your every move and lift in an attempt not to stress or even worse smash your pet? I have trouble seeing the same desire you apparently see. You might get some of those responses cause instead of replying to the issue or go on and on about what alarms people and don't say much in the way of maybe it could be this or that. I'm not trying to jump on you or nothing like that, this has seemed to be a great forum so far and has helped me numerous times along the way, before coming here I checked numerous other websites some said basking temp of 96 one recommended a heat rock and I believe I seen something about using pine bedding but I knew that was a no go from breeding rats and mice. But the point of the matter is if I thought it was ok to be doing all this, I probably wouldn't have made a post here bring my concern to a forum of BP owner/ breeders. As I said in the OP the only reason I allowed her to stay out so often is because she fights with me when I go to put her back, it's not like I can ask her what her problem is it's just obvious her enclosure is an issue I just didn't know what. Don't get me wrong I'm not taking it personally, I know your telling me the truth the first reply ensured me of that, and your right I'm not hearing exactly what I want cause I want to hear from people who are kind enough to try and help me and Ramona with this situation. No offense but 2 replies basically saying the same thing and never coming within the ball park of the issue it's just conversation and not even a good one at that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

You ever drive a truck with a BP wrapped on your wrist? Load /unload said vehicle in 85 degree heat with a hoodie while having to carefully consider your every move and lift in an attempt not to stress or even worse smash your pet?
    That sounds like a deadly idea.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-13-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

You ever drive a truck with a BP wrapped on your wrist? Load /unload said vehicle in 85 degree heat with a hoodie while having to carefully consider your every move and lift in an attempt not to stress or even worse smash your pet? I have trouble seeing the same desire you apparently see. You might get some of those responses cause instead of replying to the issue or go on and on about what alarms people and don't say much in the way of maybe it could be this or that. I'm not trying to jump on you or nothing like that, this has seemed to be a great forum so far and has helped me numerous times along the way, before coming here I checked numerous other websites some said basking temp of 96 one recommended a heat rock and I believe I seen something about using pine bedding but I knew that was a no go from breeding rats and mice. But the point of the matter is if I thought it was ok to be doing all this, I probably wouldn't have made a post here bring my concern to a forum of BP owner/ breeders. As I said in the OP the only reason I allowed her to stay out so often is because she fights with me when I go to put her back, it's not like I can ask her what her problem is it's just obvious her enclosure is an issue I just didn't know what. Don't get me wrong I'm not taking it personally, I know your telling me the truth the first reply ensured me of that, and your right I'm not hearing exactly what I want cause I want to hear from people who are kind enough to try and help me and Ramona with this situation. No offense but 2 replies basically saying the same thing and never coming within the ball park of the issue it's just conversation and not even a good one at that.
    Nope, I've never driven with a BP wrapped around my wrist...because it's irresponsible and dangerous for all involved.
    You're asking for help, and I started with the HUGE RED FLAG. When addressing an issue it's important to start at the beginning. The first thing you need to do is stop bringing the snake out with you. From there, we can move forward and try to figure out what else may be causing the behavior. But until you're willing to listen we can't help you.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-14-2020),jmcrook (01-13-2020)

Thanks
    Ok first off driving a stick is done with one hand on the wheel and one hand on the stick to shift the only danger is if I roll the window down the temp would have dropped below 90. And yeah I get your starting with the huge red flag but we've been over that more than just a couple of times continued conversation about it does nothing... Remember I made this post admitting to this and was asking how to fix it and your steady stuck on it, thankfully albert420 was able to do that and actually try to help. Y'all take it easy I'm just gonna stick to reading threads if I can't find the answers I need there I'll figure it out some other route cause replies like this don't me or Ramona anywhere. Have fun, take it easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12