Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,025

2 members and 3,023 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: How often do you handle your snakes (per month, per snake)?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

1 2.22%
  • 1 - 3 times / month per snake

11 24.44%
  • 4 - 7 times / month per snake

13 28.89%
  • 8 - 11 times / month per snake

9 20.00%
  • 12 - 15 times / month per snake

3 6.67%
  • 15+ times / month per snake

8 17.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

How often do you handle your snakes?

I was surprised by the frequency of handling in another thread, so I figured I'd make a poll to see how often people really handle their snakes.

It's surely going depend on the snake, but just an on average estimation would work.

I handle my snakes pretty rarely because they act well when I do, except for my scrub, which I need to handle more until she calms down, it's just hard to do in the current setup.
    Last edited by wnateg; 01-09-2020 at 01:06 PM.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

Re: How often do you handle your snakes?

I tend to try to handle them at least once to twice a week but I have a lot of stuff going on atm and I don't mind being nipped too much so I tend to let them do their thing if they look healthy. It really depends on if you want a well "tamed" snake, if you handle it alot then it'll become accustomed to the handling but if you stop they tend to relapse to their instincts a bit

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

I might handle my snakes an average of once a week for 10-15 minutes but I do try to let them out to free roam for longer time periods. I've also gone months without handling them except during cage maintenance. I don't see any correlation between frequency of handling and snake defensiveness.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Albert420 (01-10-2020),GoingPostal (01-09-2020),NewmanLovesSnakes (02-01-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    If by "handle" you mean "put a hand on them to let you know that you're not a threat" then it's every day unless they are in shed or digesting because when I check them I reach into the enclosure and touch them or give them a light rub for a few seconds. If you are talking about getting them out for exercise then once or twice a week, again unless they are in shed or digesting.

Thanks

Everyone gets handled briefly once a week for cage cleaning. This is usually just a quick pick up, quick visual inspection, then into a plastic tub while I clean their cage. About once a month I'll take some out to take pictures so they'll get handled a little bit more during that process. Other than that I don't handle the adults all that often. Most of them are calm and I haven't noticed them get more/less cranky with more frequent handling. If I have any younger snakes I will handle those more often. Typically after a litter is born I leave them alone for a month or two with minimum handling until they're eating well. Once they're eating reliably I try to hold them 1-3 times a week, usually just for a few minutes at a time to get them used to being handled without stressing them out too much.

Thanks

Depends on the snake honestly. I don’t handle my sand boa much because she’s always hiding so I don’t really feel the incentive to take her out. My bp and boa I take out 3-5 times a week and they don’t mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    A few times a year.

Its been my experience that frequency of handling isn't necessary to 'tame' (I don't like that word when referring to snakes).

Over a several year period where I was gathering information (weight/sex/temps/location) on wild snakes for a university, I picked up a ton of Bullsnakes (one weekend was 25 snakes). I don't use gloves, hooks and I don't restrain their heads while I'm gathering information...I can only remember one trying earnestly to bite me over a several year period...he failed, I got all his stats without restraining him, and we parted amicably.

Thanks

I hold or let mine roam for at least an hour a day so if I need to skip a day she doesn’t get aggitatedI

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Depends on what you mean by handling, like bcr229 I generally put hands on my snakes daily, I pull them once a week for a quick once over of both them and cage but as far as sitting down with them, handling and letting them roam around, I'd say 1-2 times a month. More or less depending on my schedule and weather.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

I'll have my young boa out 3-5 days per week, but only she seems to be one of those snakes that appreciates out-of-enclosure time. If she were a more nervous individual I'd only have her out once or twice to keep her tame. Sometimes it's just a quick pick-up-and-check, other times I'll let her climb on me or put out some snake-friendly structures for her to climb on, but most of the time she's content to just sit and chill in my hand. It all depends on what her inclination seems to be that day. I keep handling sessions to about 15 minutes and won't take her out more than three days in a row, less than 48 hours after eating, or if she's in blue.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast