Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,868

0 members and 2,868 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Lightbulb A safer heatlamp situation-- need suggestions please

My daughter has her chameleon housed in a refurbished curio cabinet. There is a UV lamp inside a cage that is at the center inside of the habitat. The heat lamp is clamped to a doorframe and pointed at one side of the cabinet, where the mesh screen is. (This is not the same setup as shown in the photo-- that was only to illuminate the setup).

The cabinet had to be resealed this weekend for leaks, and when it was put back in place the heatlamp was too close to the mesh. I noticed a burning smell and saw that it was starting to burn the wood and mesh.

I have moved it back so it's in the original position where it's not about to catch fire, but now I'm totally paranoid. Are there safer options for a source of heat for a chameleon?
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 01-09-2020 at 10:45 AM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    It's really hard to say without seeing exactly & with detail the placement & attachment of the lamp with respect to the "wood and mesh", but I know I wouldn't be
    able to sleep until this was modified...that was a close call. She needs to find either a way to protect the wood with something that cannot burn & serves as a "heat
    sink" (ceramic or metal perhaps) or use a different kind of heat source altogether (& I assume she'd still need a UV light).

When I re-purposed a large china hutch cabinet for an arboreal snake to live in, I used a heat cable (the kind sold to keep your pipes from freezing, they come in many
    different lengths too) and connected it to a thermostat (the kind used for home heat...this was MANY years ago, & FYI, it worked quite well!). In that case, I ran the
    cable around the sides of the enclosure horizontally, about 12" from the floor (so the snake could also be cool at the bottom if desired since heat rises -the water bowl
    was also on the floor). On that cabinet, the glass in the front-opening doors did not go all the way to the bottom, so you couldn't see the cable unless the doors were
    open, & even then, it didn't much detract from appearance. The cables can be also be disguised in many other ways, as long as you make sure that either the material
    cannot burn, or the heat is well-regulated. (I'm thinking of a heated "branch"?) A heat lamp inside a wood cabinet would "bother me"...especially if it's not regulated.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-09-2020 at 12:26 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (01-09-2020)

Thanks
    I was brainstorming last night and thinking of a way to attach a heat mat to the side. I had forgotten about those heated cables or heat tape. Good idea!

The heat lamp is outside the cabinet and aimed at the side of it. It was the proximity of the cabinet as it was put back that created this situation-- but now I'm definitely not able to sleep until we get this situation changed.

The UV light is very safe. It doesn't get very hot and it's in the existing light bulb outlet that came with the cabinet. We just put the cage around it to prevent the chameleon from having direct contact with it.

The habitat is large enough and well-ventilated enough that we've never had to worry about overheating-- the chameleon simply moves around to different areas to regulate his temperature. Love the idea of a heated branch!
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-09-2020)

Thanks
    You might do a search for heated branches, btw...I recall a long while back a company (?) made such a thing, but haven't seen used or since...I think it would be
    better to make your own. As long as it's regulated (not super hot) just wrapping a heat cable thru your own branches would be nice, & hopefully the occupant
    would agree. And yeah, I've used UV lights for the dragon I had, they're "fluorescent type" & don't get that hot, so I wasn't sure about your set up. I think
    you're on the right track now.

Thanks

Re: A safer heatlamp situation-- need suggestions please

I did find heated branches for birds! But I also read today that chameleons don't have very good heat sensors in their feet. And probably he'd do better basking next to something than having his feet heated up. I also found some ceramic covered heat pads for birds that can be mounted on the cage bars for them to snuggle up to. Lucky birds! They were a bit pricey though.

I think for now we are going to just mount an under the tank type pad to one wall with attached thermostat so it doesn't get too hot if he sits right next to it, but it creates radiant heat in that area. It may take some experimenting, but certainly anything's better than the current situation.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 01-09-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Was the heat lamp regulated by a thermostat???

It seems to my that regulating the heat lamp should do the trick...

Using an UNDER tank heater on the side will barely help at all. They're designed to create a hot spot, not raise ambient temps. Mounted on the side the heat would barely go in and would go up instead simply escaping the enclosure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Was the heat lamp regulated by a thermostat???

It seems to my that regulating the heat lamp should do the trick...

Using an UNDER tank heater on the side will barely help at all. They're designed to create a hot spot, not raise ambient temps. Mounted on the side the heat would barely go in and would go up instead simply escaping the enclosure.
    No it was not, but it was placed far enough away to just have warmth and still not burn anyone. We used a digital thermometer to make sure of the placement. At this point I don't it in the room at all. I ditched the heat lamps for the snakes about 5 minutes after I got them for safety reasons. They came with our "used" snakes and I didn't know better about them yet. My husband accidentally threw a towel on top of one of the snake ones (they were on a thermostat but you still don't want a towel on top of one).

I am not that comfortable with heat lamps in general, thermostats or not. I need to find another solution. The enclosure is in my 15 year old's bedroom and she can be careless (as kids are sometimes). I just want it gone. I think if it was a different set-up in a safer location, and it was like a bearded dragon or something that might be a different story.
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 01-09-2020 at 03:12 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-09-2020)

Thanks
    I have to agree with Craig, I'm not sure that a UTH attached to the side will be all that helpful (& it might even overheat the part that becomes the "top", since they're
    designed to be used horizontally & flat, with the heat being evenly dispersed...know what I mean?)

I have no experience with chameleons but I always see them on branches: they only climb & sit on the top of the branches tho, right? They don't climb underneath?

I think what I'd do is attach a heat cable to the underside of the branch* & also regulate it with a thermostat so it's not cooking the branch or the chameleon. It will
    blend in (mine is gray- I'm assuming they aren't making them in rainbow colors now?) & put the heat in the middle of the enclosure right where it's needed & comfy.

But it must be controlled, otherwise it can get too hot- they're designed to prevent water pipes outside from freezing.

*I would use a fairly thick branch for this too, btw...maybe 1.5-2" thick, so his toes are never near the cable, just in case.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-09-2020 at 07:21 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (01-09-2020)

Thanks

you Can replace the screen by getting a terrarium lid am doing some arts and crafts that will be about 30 dollars or you could replace it with chicken wire and add unscented petroleum jelly so as not to chafing. It’s what I do with my bp’s cage

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    What about a radiant heat panel?

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus