Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,018

2 members and 3,016 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Yes, it would be a good idea. I suggest hook training with any boa. Either in food mode or being woken up or surprised by the touch, they may get a tad grumpy and strikey. I gently stroke or tap them on or near the head with a hook to knock them out of any possible defensive or hungry behavior. With consistent usage, they will learn that the touch of the hook means they are getting picked up or otherwise messed with. I may use the hook under the neck or 1st 1/4 of the body to help pick up or maneuver when picking up if they are being squirrely or I don't trust my reading of their behavior, but generally can just pick them up with hands once they are calmed down and used to the hook training.
    I hope that helps!
    For the Horde!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (01-09-2020)

Thanks

Re: My first Red Tail

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Yes, it would be a good idea. I suggest hook training with any boa. Either in food mode or being woken up or surprised by the touch, they may get a tad grumpy and strikey. I gently stroke or tap them on or near the head with a hook to knock them out of any possible defensive or hungry behavior. With consistent usage, they will learn that the touch of the hook means they are getting picked up or otherwise messed with. I may use the hook under the neck or 1st 1/4 of the body to help pick up or maneuver when picking up if they are being squirrely or I don't trust my reading of their behavior, but generally can just pick them up with hands once they are calmed down and used to the hook training.
    I hope that helps!
    Yes awesome advice. Do you know a hook for sale that would be good for larger snakes?

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    These are my hooks. The small one on the left I bought about 20 years ago, probably from Big Apple Herp (https://www.bigappleherp.com/ ) I use it for the hook touch and for my amazon tree boas. The middle is telescoping and I will also use it for the hook touch or to keep the head in control if needed, not sure where it was purchased, my b/f gave it to me. The larger red rubber tipped on the right I picked up at a reptile show from TSK (https://www.tsksupply.com/ ) and I'll use this, if needed, for managing the large boas and retics.
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Re: My first Red Tail

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    These are my hooks. The small one on the left I bought about 20 years ago, probably from Big Apple Herp (https://www.bigappleherp.com/ ) I use it for the hook touch and for my amazon tree boas. The middle is telescoping and I will also use it for the hook touch or to keep the head in control if needed, not sure where it was purchased, my b/f gave it to me. The larger red rubber tipped on the right I picked up at a reptile show from TSK (https://www.tsksupply.com/ ) and I'll use this, if needed, for managing the large boas and retics.
    Perfect thankyou so much. I'm going to repticon in Feb in orlando. But I'll prob buy a hook earlier heh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12