Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,023

1 members and 3,022 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Glass to tub question

New guy here,

I have a 2 month old Ball Python that I got for my daughter I currently have it in a 10 gallon tank with an Ultratherm UTH 6x11 set to a thermostat at 100 degrees, but I cant get my temps warm enough. I have Styrofoam underneath the UTH to help channel it to the warm spot.

I am awaiting my custom boaphile tank to come ( 5 weeks) and I made the decision to switch to a 36 qt tub in the mean time. My question is do I use a 11x11 or 6x11 ultratherm UTH and do I still use the styrofoam or is just taping the UTH to the bottom of the tub fine?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    No tape should really be need, just put the ultratherm UTH under the tub and sandwich the thermostat probe between the UTH and the tub floor.

How are you measuring temperature? A UTH won't increase ambient, it will just make a hot spot on the enclosure floor. I would dial it back to 90*F and put a hide over it.

Thanks

Re: Glass to tub question

So I do currently have a hide over it. I currently have the thermostat probe taped the to the bottom of the uth (between the styrofoam and the bottom of the uth) does it need to be sandwiched between the tub or tank and the top of the uth? All the right ups I’ve seen show the ultratherm taped via aluminum tape to the tub or tank, and some have styrofoam also taped to it. And I’m using a laser heat gun.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    For a UTH the probe goes outside the enclosure, sandwiched between the UTH and the underside of the enclosure. Otherwise your snake can move it or pee on it, which can cause the UTH to run too hot.

Thanks

Re: Glass to tub question

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    For a UTH the probe goes outside the enclosure, sandwiched between the UTH and the underside of the enclosure. Otherwise your snake can move it or pee on it, which can cause the UTH to run too hot.

right, but I have it taped outside the enclose and directly to the uth which is under my tank. Maybe I’m explaining it poorly but my probe is taped to the bottom side of the uth (still outside the tank and taped between the uth and the styrofoam) rather than taped to the top of the uth and sandwiched between the uth and the tank. If that makes sense.