Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,036

0 members and 3,036 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Gotta love retics!

I feed (offer is actually a better word since I have several ball pythons too) my snakes weekly. I noticed my purple tiger male retic was getting pretty aggressive on feeding day so I moved him up a size in rats, thinking maybe that would chill him out a little. NOPE! I feed on Friday. If I open the cage on Saturday and use the hook to let him know I’m not feeding him, which use to work every time, he opens his mouth and tests the hook, just in case it’s edible. He figures out pretty quick he’s not getting fed, and I can fill his water or do what I need without getting drilled, but I think if I offered food every single day, he would take it. I’m already feeding him a medium rat every week, which is a pretty good size meal for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Gotta love retics!

[QUOTE=bhsurf4;2723493]I feed (offer is actually a better word since I have several ball pythons too) my snakes weekly. I noticed my purple tiger male retic was getting pretty aggressive on feeding day so I moved him up a size in rats, thinking maybe that would chill him out a little. NOPE! I feed on Friday. If I open the cage on Saturday and use the hook to let him know I’m not feeding him, which use to work every time, he opens his mouth and tests the hook, just in case it’s edible. He figures out pretty quick he’s not getting fed, and I can fill his water or do what I need without getting drilled, but I think if I offered food every single day, he would take it. I’m already feeding him a medium rat every week, which is a pretty good size meal for him.

Enjoy. Male retics are not that relaxing. Throwing food at them is not the answer in most cases

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...vanced-species
    Last edited by Gio; 01-08-2020 at 01:30 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

67temp (01-08-2020),jmcrook (01-08-2020),richardhind1972 (01-08-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

[QUOTE=Gio;2723505]
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsurf4 View Post
    Enjoy. Male retics are not that relaxing. Throwing food at them is not the answer in most cases

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...vanced-species
    I think this applies to all retics. They can be excited when it comes to food when young and growing. Aurora my main land female is very food alert and always looking for food. I always offer her a stick before reaching in. Once out she is chill as heck. My experience is that Males are even more driven to eat or get with a female.

Thanks

Another funny thing about him is that even though I never feed him live, he strikes, wraps, and then stays wrapped for a minimum of 5 minutes, sometimes longer! I’ll feed him, and after he strikes I will lock the cage and go down the line feeding the others. Usually I’ll have everyone fed and starting to clean up and I’ll peek in on him, and he’s still wrapped, while others have already eaten!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    Yea, mine wraps, but then drops it, and comes back a minute later. Thought that was a bit odd.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor