Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,219

4 members and 1,215 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question Is my ball python humidity okay?

So right now I have a young ball python kept in a 20 gal cage. It’s the middle of winter right now so that may have something to do with my humidity problems. I’ve read on here before that there should be no condensation on the cage, but that seems to be the only way to keep my humidity between 50-65%. I have one of those automatic misters with two nozzles on the warm and cool ends of the cage. The settings on the mister are for every 1,3,6, or 12 hours. Then you can have the spray duration for 15,30,45, or 60 seconds. I keep having to switch between every hour for 15 seconds and every 3 hours for 30 seconds. Even on the 3 hour setting, there is a little condensation on the cool side that doesn’t evaporate with the rest. I use fir bark for the bedding (the large and chunky stuff) but I do have some coconut fiber on me. I was wondering if anyone has a solution that would help me keep my humidity stable? Should I switch beddings or add moss or something?

Thanks,

-mkspain

Thanks

Re: Is my ball python humidity okay?

Here's what helped me:

-Covering the mesh on the top of my tank with custom glass panels. (I don't know if you have a tank or not, but if it's a tank then it's usually suggested to cover the top mesh with foil or some type of material to keep in the humidity)
    -Two or three big clumps of moss! I soak them and then put them in different spots around the cage. This makes a huge difference and keeps up the humidity really stable for days. Great for bumping up humidity for shed too. Moss is a must-have for me.
    -A large water dish that's placed under or near the ambiant heat source. I stick mine under the CHE. (It also discourages my ball from getting too close to the hot mesh right under the CHE)
    -Wetting a washcloth and putting it on the mesh opening. This trick immediately bumps up the humidity and is helpful during shed.
    -Pouring a little water into the substrate and mixing it. I have a mix of eco earth and reptichip that eventually dries out, so I have to dampen it every other week or so, or else it gets dusty.

I also mist occasionally to keep up the humidity, but the moss and water dish (and slightly damp substrate) keep it steady enough that I don't have to mist often.

Keep an eye out for mold! I caught one of my humid hides growing fuzz during the last shed when I had the humidity way up. Caught it in time so it didn't spread anywhere, but be aware that it's more likely to happen during shed. (He was so, so grumpy that I took his hide away to clean it while he was in the blue lol)

Thanks
    Thanks so much! I have some moss on me so I’ll put some in there!

Thanks
    Mine was fine until I added my CHE to boost the ambient temps some. Now they quickly drop to around 45%. I mist twice a day and when my snake was ready to shed this last time I shut the CHE off for a couple days and my humidity stayed at 75-80. My temps don't drop too much without the CHE since I have two UTH's, once his shed went good I turned it back on. Form me once summer gets here the temp seems in that room stay warm enough I won't need the CHE.

Thanks

Perfect humidity temperature??

Quick question what’s a normal humidity temp for a ball python an with out a mister how do you all keep your humidity up

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Is my ball python humidity okay?

I just spray daily and then when they’re in shed up the daily spraying to two or three times .

Works a treat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro