Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 756

3 members and 753 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Who to go with?? AP vs Boamaster vs Boaphile vs Reptile Basics

So the hunt for a few bigger enclosures has begun...... in the 6' length size probably a stack of 3 or 4 if I can fit that many (depends on height)

Who owns what and would you buy it again??

I am within a days driving distance of Boamaster & Reptile Basics.

Reptile Basics sells bigger enclosures for pickup only, which is doable if I save and order 4 or so at once. Any input on these?? They look like basic stuff
    would really like a shelf option though.

Boamaster is a little closer driving distance, With more options offered Reviews seem to be 50/50 over the past year, some of his bigger 8' enclosures use 3/4" pvc I believe

Ap cages seems to be the go to, have to wait for product (not an issue), lots of options, did send an email to them as their bigger 6' enclosures have to be sent on a pallet freight...
    I ask if more than 1 enclosure can go on a pallet to save on shipping waiting for a response, lots of options to choose from

Boaphile - prices include shipping so no added charges, lots of options, but I think I saw where he uses 1/4" pvc where everybody else uses 1/2" ?? Someone please correct me if that is incorrect.... He does have the expandable enclosures that bolt together, so a 6', 7', 8' is possible with a 3' plus 3' or 4' or 2 4' bolted together or you can get a corner block too to do right angles

And what options are useful??

I would go with a shelp for my Corn and Boa, but not for the Pythons
    Led lighting would be nice but not needed and could be added later if wanted
    Glass or Acrylic doors? Slider or drop down?
    Door locks would be a yes
    Belly heat would be a yes
    Radiant heat panel would not be needed (have a temperature controlled room right now) could be added later if needed?

Sorry if that's a lot of questions, but this is going to be a large expense and I don't want to do it wrong and end up wasting 100's of dollars

Thanks for any input from everybody out there!!

Thanks
    I have an ap t8, and a t25 on the way. I had a t25 many moons ago. Love love LOVE animal plastics cages. Their only downfall to me is the wait time. I ordered my t25 on oct 21 2019. According to the email I have until end of feb early March before I’ll even receive the shipping notice.

ive had 2 boaphiles in the past. It is only 1/4” pvc. I didn’t like the way they bolted together either. The pvc they use is different to ap. It absorbs odors. I had them in use for 2 years. The 6’er smelled horrible no matter what I did after my female boa gave birth. And the seems leaked, after 2 years, in the back. Not knowing that + boa afterbirth= yuck.

I have a 3x2x14 boa master. 3/4 pvc. Doesn’t hold humidity like my t8 does. Holds heat fine. But it is in a dedicated room with ambients that fall no lower than 74°. The pvc seems flimsier to me. Wait time wasn’t bad. Took 2 1/2 weeks from time of order to delivery. Cost me roughly $190 with no door lock for that. Ap t8 (4x2x1) with door lock delivered to my door is 220-230. Boamasters doors (and boaphile) are acrylic. Ap is tempered glass. Only ordered the boa master because I needed something quick. Aps doors slide easier. The lock they offer on the boa master to be shipped with it is just the standard jewelry case lock that slides on between the doors. I found it cheaper on amazon then it was through boamaster. Was also shorted about 7 screws with the boamaster.

I never got any options other than door locks, and just on the ap cages. I use rhps and I just mount them myself. Never had a reptile basics cage so no opinion there.

My opinion...go with AP. You might wait a long time, but you won’t be disappointed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Waterman For This Useful Post:

Gocntry (01-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Given your location and willingness to drive I would also look at offerings from Brendan Tighe/Evolution Reptile in Midland, VA and Chris Chappell at Herptastic in NC.

The only one I would avoid is Boaphile as I think 1/4" PVC isn't adequate for a six foot enclosure, unless you plan on bolting together two 3' enclosures which would leave the center of it better supported. I do have one of their smaller arboreal enclosures and it's very nice.
    Last edited by bcr229; 01-05-2020 at 12:21 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Gocntry (01-06-2020),Stewart_Reptiles (01-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Who to go with?? AP vs Boamaster vs Boaphile vs Reptile Basics

I use all AP cages so my experience might be limited. I have 3 T25 as well as a couple T15 and a couple A8. Sold off all my T8 as I feel they are too low in height.

I had a retic and a couple boas in my T25s which worked fine. I would opt for the shelf option as you can remove it if wanted but it adds a decent amount of floor space. I used flexwatt for heating. RHPs are good too, I use those on my A8s for my GTPs.

Right now I got 2 gilas and 1 beaded lizard in my T25s and still use the flexwatt set on a Herpstat 6 which also runs the cage lighting. Can’t go wrong with AP but be prepared for a wait.

Forgot to add, I have sliding glass doors on all my cages with locks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sauzo; 01-05-2020 at 06:05 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Bodie (01-05-2020),Gocntry (01-06-2020),jmcrook (01-05-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sauzo View Post
    i use all ap cages so my experience might be limited. I have 3 t25 as well as a couple t15 and a couple a8. Sold off all my t8 as i feel they are too low in height.

I had a retic and a couple boas in my t25s which worked fine. I would opt for the shelf option as you can remove it if wanted but it adds a decent amount of floor space. I used flexwatt for heating. Rhps are good too, i use those on my a8s for my gtps.

Right now i got 2 gilas and 1 beaded lizard in my t25s and still use the flexwatt set on a herpstat 6 which also runs the cage lighting. Can’t go wrong with ap but be prepared for a wait.

Forgot to add, i have sliding glass doors on all my cages with locks.

sent from my ipad using tapatalk

nice!
    Last edited by Bodie; 01-05-2020 at 06:30 PM.
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bodie For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (01-05-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I use all AP cages so my experience might be limited. I have 3 T25 as well as a couple T15 and a couple A8. Sold off all my T8 as I feel they are too low in height.

I had a retic and a couple boas in my T25s which worked fine. I would opt for the shelf option as you can remove it if wanted but it adds a decent amount of floor space. I used flexwatt for heating. RHPs are good too, I use those on my A8s for my GTPs.

Right now I got 2 gilas and 1 beaded lizard in my T25s and still use the flexwatt set on a Herpstat 6 which also runs the cage lighting. Can’t go wrong with AP but be prepared for a wait.

Forgot to add, I have sliding glass doors on all my cages with locks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Where did you get those large branches? Is that grape wood or ghost wood? Just curious as I may have to get larger pieces as my boa grows. Your enclosures look fantastic btw!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (01-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    Where did you get those large branches? Is that grape wood or ghost wood? Just curious as I may have to get larger pieces as my boa grows. Your enclosures look fantastic btw!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was out and about yesterday and stopped by a reptile shop by me and saw them. I instantly grabbed the only 3 they had. I need a few more pieces but have to wait for another shipment. They use them for their tall cages along with drilled and mounted faux rock platforms for their lizards.

They are jumbo grapevine, about 4 feet long each. And yeah they would be awesome for boas. I need 2 more for the beaded and then 2 more for the boas as well as a few smaller pieces I can drill and mount on the cage walls and back.

And thanks. Almost done with them once I get the pieces mounted on the cage walls and back.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

MarkL1561 (01-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I have zero experience with any of the manufacturers you mentioned, except Boaphile. I have nothing bad to say about any of the others, but I have exclusively boaphile tanks.

All 13 of my tanks are Boaphile tanks. I've had really good success with them. Jeff Ronne, the Boaphile, is a good guy and a straight shooter. He will tell you what you need given room temp, animal requirements, etc.

He does everything from helping you design the tank to installing all the heating elements, vents, etc. He also ships the tanks assembled (except for 6 and 8FT tanks which will come in 3FT or 4FT pieces that join easily).

I have not compared prices, but I imagine Boaphiles are a little more given that they come ready to go. For me, it was worth it in the beginning as I didn't know too much about the different options and wanted to deal with one person. After I had a bunch of his tanks, it made sense to keep going down that road. I have 3 stacks of tanks and have had them for about two years (give or take) and really like them.

Jeff is terrible with emails (he admits it too). However, he is great with calls. Call the number on his website and he will answer or call back in short order.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Gocntry (01-06-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
    I have an ap t8, and a t25 on the way. I had a t25 many moons ago. Love love LOVE animal plastics cages. Their only downfall to me is the wait time. I ordered my t25 on oct 21 2019. According to the email I have until end of feb early March before I’ll even receive the shipping notice.

ive had 2 boaphiles in the past. It is only 1/4” pvc. I didn’t like the way they bolted together either. The pvc they use is different to ap. It absorbs odors. I had them in use for 2 years. The 6’er smelled horrible no matter what I did after my female boa gave birth. And the seems leaked, after 2 years, in the back. Not knowing that + boa afterbirth= yuck.

I have a 3x2x14 boa master. 3/4 pvc. Doesn’t hold humidity like my t8 does. Holds heat fine. But it is in a dedicated room with ambients that fall no lower than 74°. The pvc seems flimsier to me. Wait time wasn’t bad. Took 2 1/2 weeks from time of order to delivery. Cost me roughly $190 with no door lock for that. Ap t8 (4x2x1) with door lock delivered to my door is 220-230. Boamasters doors (and boaphile) are acrylic. Ap is tempered glass. Only ordered the boa master because I needed something quick. Aps doors slide easier. The lock they offer on the boa master to be shipped with it is just the standard jewelry case lock that slides on between the doors. I found it cheaper on amazon then it was through boamaster. Was also shorted about 7 screws with the boamaster.

I never got any options other than door locks, and just on the ap cages. I use rhps and I just mount them myself. Never had a reptile basics cage so no opinion there.

My opinion...go with AP. You might wait a long time, but you won’t be disappointed.
    Well you've had experience will all of them, I appreciate your input on these.....

The t25 is what I would buy from them, freight is like 230.00 on those though now if they can ship 3 on thee same pallet for a little extra for the weight that would be great.... sent them an email asking that question, just waiting for a response.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Given your location and willingness to drive I would also look at offerings from Brendan Tighe/Evolution Reptile in Midland, VA and Chris Chappell at Herptastic in NC.

The only one I would avoid is Boaphile as I think 1/4" PVC isn't adequate for a six foot enclosure, unless you plan on bolting together two 3' enclosures which would leave the center of it better supported. I do have one of their smaller arboreal enclosures and it's very nice.
    Haven't heard of those 2, Thanks! Evolution Reptile is like 30 minutes from me, that's really nice. Followed him on FB, no post since October, and his website is currently down..... Will have to send a message and see if he still builds them.

Herptastic is about 6 hours but nothing an overnite trip won't fix, I'll check him out too

Appreciate the input.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast