Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,119

0 members and 3,119 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Snake regurgitation

Quote Originally Posted by telfordthomas View Post
    This is going to sound ridiculous but is it possible that when he turned to try and get back in his hide it hurt him in some way and he decided to just spit it out? It seems unusual because he strikes as soon as he is offered food, he doesn't hang around when it comes to feeding time! That rat (prior to spitting out) was gone in about a minute, it was ridiculously fast how quick he ate it!
    I wouldn't put anything past these guys! Did he seem panicked when he couldn't get in his hide? I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but the best thing will be to wait and see... Try feeding him again in a few weeks, and if he regurgitates again, then take him to a herp vet. In the meanwhile, if you've noticed any strange behaviour, keep a record of it just in case a vet trip is needed, and it never hurts to double check heat and humidity! Hopefully though you're right that he just stressed himself out by not being able to squeeze through his hide opening!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemini Pythons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-06-2020),Craiga 01453 (01-06-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Pythons View Post
    I wouldn't put anything past these guys! Did he seem panicked when he couldn't get in his hide? I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but the best thing will be to wait and see... Try feeding him again in a few weeks, and if he regurgitates again, then take him to a herp vet. In the meanwhile, if you've noticed any strange behaviour, keep a record of it just in case a vet trip is needed, and it never hurts to double check heat and humidity! Hopefully though you're right that he just stressed himself out by not being able to squeeze through his hide opening!
    I saw him trying to get into his hide and then reel back, I think this was at the point of his regurgitation. The rat came back up exactly as it went in! I don't think it's a full regurgitation, more like a spit out like another person posted.

It's been a few days since then and now he is dancing up and down the glass which I take that he is hungry, which is ironic really because when I was trying to fatten him up he was so lazy we never saw him but he ate well and just chilled! He's more active now than before but I put that down to almost 3 weeks of no food. This includes going 'into blue' then shedding, then the spit up around 5 days afterwards. I have one more large weaner rat to give him which I will do in the next few days, and then will increase to small rats, at that point I will reduce his feeding to every two weeks.

He isn't going to starve to death because he is a snake (and looks significantly healthier than previous) and also I don't want to overload his system, it's been over a week, a couple more days won't hurt him I don't think!

I did check his eyes with a torch as another suggested and they look clear. He has shed twice since I've had him with very little problem.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Your first post on 1-3-20 indicated the regurgitation was the previous night, so it's barely been 7 days. Unless you want to greatly increase the odd of a "repeat
    performance" you really need to wait NOT LESS than another week before feeding him again, & even then, it should be prey that's on the SMALL side, to
    help ensure he can digest it. Snakes lose essential digestive enzymes when they 'hurl' & it takes some time (2-3 weeks) before they are actually ready to digest again.
    I would not take a chance, nor would I give in to his apparent hunger. Please do a significant down-sizing when you do feed him again...it matters. It also "wouldn't
    hurt" to add probiotics (only those designed for reptiles) to his f/t next meal. You are correct: "he's not going to starve".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Your first post on 1-3-20 indicated the regurgitation was the previous night, so it's barely been 7 days. Unless you want to greatly increase the odd of a "repeat
    performance" you really need to wait NOT LESS than another week before feeding him again, & even then, it should be prey that's on the SMALL side, to
    help ensure he can digest it. Snakes lose essential digestive enzymes when they 'hurl' & it takes some time (2-3 weeks) before they are actually ready to digest again.
    I would not take a chance, nor would I give in to his apparent hunger. Please do a significant down-sizing when you do feed him again...it matters. It also "wouldn't
    hurt" to add probiotics (only those designed for reptiles) to his f/t next meal. You are correct: "he's not going to starve".
    Hi, sorry, it's been a mental week! Time flies, I genuinely didn't realise it's barely been a week! I will wait a lot longer and will put a note in my calendar!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by telfordthomas View Post
    Hi, sorry, it's been a mental week! Time flies, I genuinely didn't realise it's barely been a week! I will wait a lot longer and will put a note in my calendar!

Don't feel too bad, I'm a horrible judge of elapsed time which is why I often need to double-check.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

It sounds more like a spit up than a regurge but better safe than sorry. I agree with waiting at least 2 weeks before feeding again.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks

I had my one ball python regurgitate once only and this was due to constant traffic in front of the viv , bare this in mind as to where my other ball doesn't have a problem with traffic at all.
    All we can do is take note and make notes and learn and discuss , a proper documentary on these guys seize to exist ....... would be interesting to see for me, but not most as all they do is ball and hide
    If you haven't learned something new today ,,,, go listen to: Gang Starr - Moment of truth. ​R.I.P

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give you an update! I fed my snake the night before last ... He was a little hesitant and decided to eat it tail first which I've never seen him do before BUT he didn't spit it back out and it's been 48hrs since the feed.

I went to check his hide last night and he came out of his other one very very quickly and looked like he was ready to feed again - don't worry, I haven't fed him again, but he looks very hungry!!!

I think the fast really helped him get back on track! I'll look to up the size of his rats next feed and then fall into a better feeding routine!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to telfordthomas For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-28-2020)

Thanks
    Sounds like all is good now, yay!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12