Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,940

1 members and 2,939 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Snake mites advice? When can I replace substrate?

Hello all, I got my ball python Norman in January and have found this forum really helpful in getting started! I wanted to ask some advice on snake mites as I’ve been dealing with them for the past 6 weeks. He’s been on a minimal set up of newspaper, a couple hides and bowl. I’ve been using callingtons mite spray for the enclosure along with beaphar for direct treatment. This has been effective and he’s been mite free for 2 weeks as far as I can see! My main question really was when will it be safe to replace his substrate and get him back to a normal routine? I don’t want to jump the gun early and end up back to square one but I hate seeing his viv so bare! I’ve also struggled with maintaining a suitable humidity and am having to mist multiple times a day without the substrate so the sooner I can get it back in the better.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...Mite-questions

Mite treatments should continue for 30 days after you stop finding them, because that's how long it can take for an egg to hatch.

Thanks

Re: Snake mites advice? When can I replace substrate?

This thread was super informative, thank you so much!

Thanks

Re: Snake mites advice? When can I replace substrate?

Hi,

I would continue the treatment for 30 days after you last saw a mite as per a previous comment.
    Keep the enclosure as bare as possible. Paper towel, a water bowl and a smooth hide (with nowhere for mites or eggs to hide).
    Keep cleaning and treating the enclosure and the snake as per the treatments instructions.
    Personally, I would have the snake in a plastic tub at this time. I prefer elaborate enclosures myself but for the purpose of getting rid of mites, tubs are a good option. Easy to clean and nowhere for mites to hide.

Once you have gone 30 days without mites, You should be ok to get back to a proper routine, including adding substrate and decoration to the enclosure.

Hope this helps.
    Liam
    Ball Python Care Sheet.