Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,239

2 members and 3,237 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: povidone-iodine solution

I read of a few people using a weak betadine solution to treat snakes when they discover mites on them. Basically they make a bath that resembles 'weak tea' and then let the snake soak in it ... Is this to treat the open wounds from the mite bites?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    - Cheyenne
    2.2 Felis catus - Jet, Jasper, Terra, Meadow
    0.1 Python reguis (Het Piebald) - Tiamat

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Re: povidone-iodine solution

Quote Originally Posted by OkamiFlautist View Post
    I read of a few people using a weak betadine solution to treat snakes when they discover mites on them. Basically they make a bath that resembles 'weak tea' and then let the snake soak in it ... Is this to treat the open wounds from the mite bites?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I think a "weak tea" version of Betadine might be useful for some skin issues (not for fungal, etc) but I've never heard of using it for mite bites...I guess it wouldn't hurt, but if mites are anything like mosquitoes, the
    the damage is already done (pathogens injected); mites do drown, but you need to soak them in water with a small am't of mild soap (like Ivory) to break the surface tension of the water...that's what causes them to
    drown. I'm not sure that Betadine will break the surface tension, & certainly not better than soap. You could use both together though, to soak a snake with mites. Just be aware that mite eradication requires more
    than just soaking, because some hide under scales on face that you cannot soak (don't drown your snake!), & because mites probably left eggs all over the cage to emerge again. Basically, treatment for mites is off
    this topic anyway...betadine is an antiseptic...used directly on wounds (or diluted), & also used to wash hands & skin prior to surgical procedures, etc. FYI, if you ever soak your snake in anything but plain water, you
    must NOT leave them alone, & you must MAKE SURE they don't drink any of the treated water, no matter what you added. And I don't believe that water with betadine (povidone-iodine) will actually kill mites.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12