Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,244

1 members and 3,243 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question about feeder sizes

Hello all. Just a quick-ish question. My bp is 255g (maybe a little less since she hasn't pooped since her last meal.) A few of the feeders I have are in the 20-24g range, so less than 10% of her body weight. I am trying to get thru the smaller ones first. Normally I feed her every 7 days, and I try to stay in the 10-15% range with feeder size. For these smaller ones, do you guys think it would okay to move her feedings a little closer together, like maybe every 5 or 6 days, until I get to the bigger ones? The feeding chart sticky says every 5-7 days is okay for her weight, but I just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Question about feeder sizes

I have the same problem with mine. The store around here carry large mice then jump straight to small rats. I need the rat pup size that is in between. So I bought some mouse hoppers and the weight of a hopper plus the large mouse equals what he needs. I feed him the hopper first then follow it by the larger mouse. I have heard this can be tricky for some balls as they are notorious for being picky and some won't eat two, but my guy never missed a meal so far and has no problem slamming two. Just make sure you feed the smaller one first so he/she will still be hungry enough to take the second one.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snakemom85 For This Useful Post:

Southpaw91 (12-26-2019)

Thanks

I have never tried to give her two at once. I guess i could get some fuzzies or something. I just have apprehension about it I guess since I've always heard that it's best to give them one at a time.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    The 10-15% body weight is just a rule of thumb. You don't need to be quite so literal, though I applaud the effort.

Think of it like this...snakes are opportunistic feeders, so in nature they eat what they can, when they can. Nobody weighs their food and schedules their next meal for them.

Yes, we have the luxury of regulating their diets in captivity, but remember, it's just a guideline. If the meals are a little light it's not the end of the world.

I also applaud the effort to try to "make up the difference" by adding a hopper or fuzzy, but honestly it's probably not worth the effort. Fuzzies and even hoppers are barely developed so don't offer a whole lot of actual "meat on the bone". So for the time, money and effort it's really not worth it. I promise your snake won't miss the added 6 grams or so.

Just feed off what you have and move up to larger prey next purchase.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bodie (12-26-2019),Southpaw91 (12-26-2019)

Thanks

Thanks Craig for easing my anxiety. I just dote over her lol. As you know, shes my first and I just want to be as perfect as possible with her care. I don't want my baby to be hungry! Lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Southpaw91 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-26-2019)

Thanks

I honestly can probably move her up to weaned rats soon but I have some and they just look so big. We'll see where she's at after finishing these pups.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Southpaw91 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw91 View Post
    Thanks Craig for easing my anxiety. I just dote over her lol. As you know, shes my first and I just want to be as perfect as possible with her care. I don't want my baby to be hungry! Lol

No problem at all. That's a good question to ask. But as I said, they're just guidelines. So try not to let little details get you stressed out (easier said than done, I know, hahaha).
    Try to remember that these animals have survived for thousands and thousands of years without us, so they're more resilient than many people give them credit for. There's nothing perfect for them in nature and keeping them in captivity isn't a perfect science either.
    So, remember they're guidelines, use common sense, ask questions, apply what you learn and you'll be as close to perfect as any keeper can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw91 View Post
    I honestly can probably move her up to weaned rats soon but I have some and they just look so big. We'll see where she's at after finishing these pups.

My advice, don't be in a rush to move her up. Some people seem to want to feed feed feed so their animal grows quickly. But long term, it's better to grow them slow. Smaller meals digest easier and will lead to fewer food strikes too.
    As long as she's eating consistently the pups you have will be fine while you feed them off. That's only a few grams difference when thinking long term.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

At 255g you're right on the cusp of pups and weaned rats. She's gonna outgrow the pups in a couple of months so I'd probably go with the weaned rats and just space out the feedings by a few more days.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 12-26-2019 at 04:56 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-26-2019),Southpaw91 (12-26-2019)

Thanks

I'll feed off the rest of the pups I have. There are only 8 left so by the time she's done with them she should be ready for weaned.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Southpaw91 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ive had the same issue. When I brought my BP home in November he w as at 215 grams. I found a shop that carries live rat pups. After the first two feedings they have no longer had them. I then fed a small rat which weighed about 36 grams. He took it no problem. After that third feeding I weighed him and he was 255 grams. Next feeding was a F/T pup which he took then the next three weeks he wouldn't take F/T. So today I got another small rat that appeared to be in the 35-40 gram range and he took it no problem. Even though they are larger then what the chats show he should be eating the small rats are just about as big around as his midsection so I feel they are OK. I am hoping to get him switched to F/T so I can better regulate the sizes I get him. I would guess that the small/weened rats will be fine.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Midwest For This Useful Post:

Southpaw91 (12-27-2019)