Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,058

4 members and 3,054 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    I would go with a female carpet python. My male Bredli is very active, especially in the evening, and he loves to climb and perch. The only times I really don't see him are if he just ate and he's in his warm side hide digesting, or if he's in shed.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

baldegale (12-26-2019),Craiga 01453 (12-26-2019)

Thanks

Re: new snake suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I would go with a female carpet python. My male Bredli is very active, especially in the evening, and he loves to climb and perch. The only times I really don't see him are if he just ate and he's in his warm side hide digesting, or if he's in shed.
    how bad is it to “tame” them? also just to double check – they get brighter with age right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baldegale View Post
    how bad is it to “tame” them? also just to double check – they get brighter with age right?
    I don't know as I got my male as an adult. He's very easy to handle though. Babies can be nippy but no more so than BRB's or locality dwarf boas, or even some ball pythons.

Thanks

yeah i know colubrids are the way to go, i have wanted a garter colony for about a year now but wouldnt work well in this enclosure i dont think, due to their love for water and knack for escaping.

i have too many conflicts of interest honestly, i want something weighty, but something thats also active and fun to watch. its unfortunate that most boas and pythons are essentially pet rocks

Nah, ball pythons can be pet rocks but I wouldn’t consider my boa a pet rock. I have a Greek tortoise that’s definitely a glorified pet rock haha I mean snakes are reclusive creatures and honestly I think nearly every suggestion so far is probably going to seem like a pet rock to you. You’re going to have to find a diurnal species which might be kinda challenging. Also typically display type animals such as GTP’s aren’t great for handling. So it kinda comes down to if you want something large and impressive to pull out and show off/“play with” or something more active but hard/impossible to handle. I don’t know much about colubrids but maybe look into cribos.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

baldegale (12-26-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    Nah, ball pythons can be pet rocks but I wouldn’t consider my boa a pet rock. I have a Greek tortoise that’s definitely a glorified pet rock haha I mean snakes are reclusive creatures and honestly I think nearly every suggestion so far is probably going to seem like a pet rock to you. You’re going to have to find a diurnal species which might be kinda challenging. Also typically display type animals such as GTP’s aren’t great for handling. So it kinda comes down to if you want something large and impressive to pull out and show off/“play with” or something more active but hard/impossible to handle. I don’t know much about colubrids but maybe look into cribos.

i think carpet pythons fit all the criteria the most honestly

8. The Following User Says Thank You to baldegale For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-26-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

They tend to be nippy as hatchlings, but tend to outgrow it quickly. My girl was no exception. She struck a lot a first, but within a handful of handling sessions she mellowed right out. She hasn't struck at all since probably the fourth time I handled her. She's curious and gentle while out now.

I don't know how carpets age, but Bredli get more of that orangey reddish color towards the head and a dark rich black towards the tail as they age.

i think carpet pythons fit all the criteria the most honestly

My Bredli won't be my only species of Morelia for long. And based on what you're looking for for I think you'll be happy with a carpet or Bredli.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123