Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,083

0 members and 3,083 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Peeing/Pooing A Lot?

Wow, sorry for posting so much...I feel like I'm being kind of annoying...hope y'all don't mind.

Anyway, I was holding my snake for the past three days, and all three days she either peed or pooed on me. Is it normal for them to do this that much? I've had her for about a month and a half and she hasn't been like this before.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Peeing/Pooing A Lot?

You probably know that the general rule is not to handle for 48 hours after feeding. This rule is to prevent you from interfering with the startup of the snakes digestive process. This does not mean that the snake stops digesting after 48 hours. Depending on various factors digestion can be ongoing for more than a week. Since handling applies movement and pressure to the snakes internal organs-it is very common for a snake to excrete waste during manipulation.

I personally won't handle my snakes more than the minimal required for husbandry unless I think they are 'empty'.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-25-2019),Craiga 01453 (12-25-2019)

Thanks

Yes, I don't handle her until 48 hours after she eats, but that makes sense...she might still be digesting. Thank you for your help!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslayer View Post
    Yes, I don't handle her until 48 hours after she eats, but that makes sense...she might still be digesting. Thank you for your help!
    Some snakes (young king or milk snakes- typical example) also defecate in self-defense; handling scares them & by "tasting bad" they reduce the chance of a predator eating them & just letting them go.

So keep in mind that you just might be scaring the "pee & poo" out of your snake, that's why it's so frequent. Take the hint...slow down, handle less while your snake learns to trust you as "safe", not a predator.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

She seems calm when doing it and it's not immediately after picking her up (I kind of imagine picking her up and she poos quickly to escape? idk how that works). She's also not young, probably about 5-6. I'll slow down on the handling, though, anyway, even if it's just the digestion thing. Thank you for the tip!