Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,813

0 members and 2,813 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Questions about my setup 😊

Good evening everyone! I'm new to the forums as well as new to owning a Ball Python!
    So I had my lady in a 20 gallon short tank and recently switched her to a 40 gallon tall due to her escaping from the 20 gallon. When she escaped she decided to hang out in the wall of bathroom for 5 days before coming out.
    I've had her for about 4 months, keep her tank temps between 75-85 degrees with a heat pad set to 89-92 degrees. The humidity usually is at 75-80%.
    The reason I'm wondering about her tank setup is, ever since she escaped she hasn't eaten. She ate a week before she got out. When she came out of the wall, I tried feeding her the next day since I thought she escaped looking for food but she didnt eat it. I had her in her old tank for about a 3 days, then set up the new one. I didn't try feeding her again until 4 days after the new home setup. Still didn't eat. She seems interested, she will approach the rat, but doesn't strike or even get into her defensive position. But once the rat moves (Feed live) she just moves away and tries to escape the tank. Its almost been a month since shes eaten. And ever since I've had her shes been a great eater!
    So I'm wondering if it's the tank setup or something. I cant really figure it out since I have zero experience with BPs.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated ��������

Oh more about her tank, she has ecoEarth with live plants, a big corner water dish, 4 hides, one being filled with moss so its extra humid for shed time. She always goes into the moss one to shed. She's shed 3 times since I've had her.
    She has a 100 watt day basking bulb and a 60 watt red night light.

Uummmm oh and I believe shes 6 months old? I also have no idea if she is male or female. I know how to figure it out, I just haven't done it yet lol.

Thank you!!!
    Last edited by Neongekko; 12-24-2019 at 12:55 AM.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Questions about my setup ��

Quote Originally Posted by Neongekko View Post
    I tried feeding her the next day since I thought she escaped looking for food but she didnt eat it. I had her in her old tank for about a 3 days, then set up the new one. I didn't try feeding her again until 4 days after the new home setup. Still didn't eat.
    I'd figure it wouldn't eat for at least a week or two after escaping. Changing the enclosure may mean a few more weeks or even longer than a month until it feels comfortable to eat. If your new setup does not have the temps dialed in and/or does not make the snake feel secure--you have an issue and won't know it for a while because of this delay. Offering food frequently will just add to the stress--the most I would offer is once a week and if it was a good feeder previously...then only for a few minutes.

I would move the snake back to the old setup (with improved security) until it started eating again, then, I would transfer it to the new setup once it was reestablished.
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 12-24-2019 at 06:09 AM.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-24-2019),Neongekko (12-24-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    The snake likely isn't eating due to stress. Which is understandable considering the "adventure".

Escaping, being "recaptured", moved from one enclosure to another and offering food can all be stressful.

If it were me, I'd put the snake back in the 20 gallon and just let him/her chill. No handling, no feeding for at least a week.
    In fact, I'd act as if you were just bringing the snake home for the first time. No handling til he/she is eating regularly again. Just let him/her reacclimate. I wouldn't move the snake for at least a few weeks after he/she is eating consistently.

Make sure that enclosure is properly secured though!

Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Neongekko (12-24-2019)

Thanks

Re: Questions about my setup 😊

Thanks guys!!

I'll Definitely give that a shot.

I super appreciate y'alls input and advice!

😊😊

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Neongekko For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-24-2019)