Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,889

1 members and 2,888 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

New Herpetologist coming soon to a desert near you

Hey everyone, I am posting today not as a Herpetoculturist, but as a Herpetologist. I am a 4th year undergraduate student at Cal Poly Pomona earning my degree in Biology - Zoology. After this year I have a confirmation from my advisor that I will be taken in as a master's student and I already have the ball in motion. I am basically starting my graduates research and I am seeing how costly and time consuming it will all be. I am a B/B+ average student, and I have been around reptiles all of my life. I feel privileged to have the opportunity to further my education.

My post today is about sharing my past experiences with wild reptiles and amphibians.

John
    @jtherpetology (IG)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 12-16-2019 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks

Re: New Herpetologist coming soon to a desert near you

Quote Originally Posted by tjohn310 View Post
    Hey everyone, I am posting today not as a Herpetoculturist, but as a Herpetologist. I am a 4th year undergraduate student at Cal Poly Pomona earning my degree in Biology - Zoology. After this year I have a confirmation from my advisor that I will be taken in as a master's student and I already have the ball in motion. I am basically starting my graduates research and I am seeing how costly and time consuming it will all be. I am a B/B+ average student, and I have been around reptiles all of my life. I feel privileged to have the opportunity to further my education.

John
    @jtherpetology (IG)

I’m currently completely my M.S. in biology. If you need advice or have questions feel free to ask. As far as equipment costs... that shouldn’t be on you. Typically the university or third party entity that you’re working with will supply it. If the school or DNR/equivalent doesn’t have it then your advisor can purchase it through department funds or get additional funds through a grant. If done correctly you shouldn’t pay a dime for graduate school. Also the best advice I have is keep a positive relationship with your advisor/committee and keep your project as concise and simple as possible. Things often seem easier on paper but in practice may be difficult to complete in two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 12-16-2019 at 06:40 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

Reinz (12-15-2019),tjohn310 (12-16-2019)

Thanks

Re: New Herpetologist coming soon to a desert near you

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    I’m currently completely my M.S. in biology. If you need advice or have questions feel free to ask. As far as equipment costs... that shouldn’t be on you. Typically the university or third party entity that you’re working with will supply it. If the school or DNR/equivalent doesn’t have it then your advisor can purchase it through department funds or get additional funds through a grant. If done correctly you shouldn’t pay a dime for graduate school. Also the best advice I have is keep a positive relationship with your advisor/committee and keep your project as concise and simple as possible. Things often seem easier on paper but in practice may be difficult to complete in two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for offering your help, I'll keep you in mind! And yes, I'm already seeing that things are easier on paper, because when I wrote down my research proposal to show to my future advisor, it had seemed like a simple enough task. Now I'm signing up for SCPs and learning that all the small details matter to the state(s) I'll be working in. Also, my university is so underfunded since it's a Cal State instead of a UC. I'll ask around my department and see if there is any money for equipment (new or used), because looking at what we have there is only enough equipment for one person to use at a time. Thanks for the input!

Also, below is the makeshift 3.5' snake hook I built yesterday.