Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,748

1 members and 2,747 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I have 85 snakes and use nothing but F10 for sanitizing enclosures after a snake makes a mess. No issues. Just make sure you dilute it according to the package directions.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (12-14-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: F10 veterinarian disinfectant

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    .... But my question is does the stuff used for Lysol wipes have a more long term possible health risk to my snake.
    I checked on line and found the answer I didn't expect but I did find the answer. Guess I need to get some F 10 thanks to the OP for asking this question which got me doing my own thinking. This is the source link https://www.moonvalleyreptiles.com/c...ecting-methods

Here is a quote: " Avoid formaldehyde and other aldehydes, Pine-sol, Lysol and other phenols which are highly toxic to reptiles."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-17-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Guess I need to get some F 10 ...
    I have only one snake, looked for a spray bottle of diluted F10 didn't find it anywhere. BUT I seen something called Wipe Out by Zoo Med. I crossed checked and Wipe Out has the same main ingredients that F10 has so for my just one snake I have purchased a small bottle of Wipe Out by Zoo Med. It is available at Petco and Petsmart on line. I just seen Pet Smart also sells a 32 oz bottle for around 10.99 (better deal) dollars you can buy on line. Will get that next time. I bought the 8.75 oz. at Petco which just offers the smaller bottle.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-17-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I have 85 snakes and use nothing but F10 for sanitizing enclosures after a snake makes a mess. No issues. Just make sure you dilute it according to the package directions.
    Question for you-- what is better to use, chlorohexidine or F10- and why is one better than the other?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by viper69 View Post
    Question for you-- what is better to use, chlorohexidine or F10- and why is one better than the other?
    All I know is that uk vets use F10 as their default ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

viper69 (02-17-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

I checked on line and found the answer I didn't expect but I did find the answer. Guess I need to get some F 10 thanks to the OP for asking this question which got me doing my own thinking. This is the source link https://www.moonvalleyreptiles.com/c...ecting-methods

Here is a quote: " Avoid formaldehyde and other aldehydes, Pine-sol, Lysol and other phenols which are highly toxic to reptiles."
    I'm glad you found the right answer before using for too long. All those products are horrible for snakes, as is anything that leaves a residual "scent" (including bleach!).

F10 is very effective but perhaps over-kill for someone with only one or several pet snakes. You can buy some generic chlorhexidine* from a feed store or online (often sold by the gallon for farms, but I've bought small bottles so I know they exist); it works the same way, not quite as strong but very effective. You dilute with water for a spray to clean cages that needs no rinsing, only wiped dry. F10 is just the more recent product, chlorhexidine (aka Nolvasan) has been around a long time & used to be the veterinary disinfectant of choice. F10 was presumably concocted because "germs" don't stay the same, they mutate & some become resistant, so while a breeder (or anyone with many snakes) or vet clinic may choose F10, you don't necessarily need to. I've tried it & went back to chlorhexidine. For me, F10 is over-kill & I have 19 healthy snakes currently, with no planned additions (& no recently acquired snakes besides the ones that hatched out unexpectedly from snakes I've had for over 10 years.).

*this > > > https://www.jefferspet.com/products/...fectant-gallon
    And I recommend Jeffers, too, by the way. I've bought from them, they're a reliable company you may not have heard of.
    If you look this product up from Walmart, they'll sell the same thing to you for several dollars more (they're the "middle man").
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-17-2020 at 01:09 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

viper69 (02-17-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm glad you found the right answer before using for too long. All those products are horrible for snakes, as is anything that leaves a residual "scent" (including bleach!).

F10 is very effective but perhaps over-kill for someone with only one or several pet snakes. You can buy some generic chlorhexidine* from a feed store or online (often sold by the gallon for farms, but I've bought small bottles so I know they exist); it works the same way, not quite as strong but very effective. You dilute with water for a spray to clean cages that needs no rinsing, only wiped dry. F10 is just the more recent product, chlorhexidine (aka Nolvasan) has been around a long time & used to be the veterinary disinfectant of choice. F10 was presumably concocted because "germs" don't stay the same, they mutate & some become resistant, so while a breeder (or anyone with many snakes) or vet clinic may choose F10, you don't necessarily need to. I've tried it & went back to chlorhexidine. For me, F10 is over-kill & I have 19 healthy snakes currently, with no planned additions (& no recently acquired snakes besides the ones that hatched out unexpectedly from snakes I've had for over 10 years.).

*this > > > https://www.jefferspet.com/products/...fectant-gallon
    And I recommend Jeffers, too, by the way. I've bought from them, they're a reliable company you may not have heard of.
    If you look this product up from Walmart, they'll sell the same thing to you for several dollars more (they're the "middle man").
    Thanks a lot for this, couldn't find a small volume to purchase, I don't need a gallon.

Thanks

Thanks a lot for this, couldn't find a small volume to purchase, I don't need a gallon.
    I know...it's hard to find locally in smaller bottles. You might also check with drug stores (chlorhexidine is an ingredient in mouthwash, & I can remember someone saying they wiped their enclosures with mouthwash, but I don't think I'm ready for "minty-fresh" reptiles, lol) they might actually carry it??? Only a really big operation (like a farm or vet hospital) would need a gallon of any of these disinfectants, they dilute by so much for use.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-17-2020 at 01:36 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

viper69 (02-17-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I know...it's hard to find locally in smaller bottles. You might also check with drug stores (chlorhexidine is an ingredient in mouthwash, & I can remember someone saying they wiped their enclosures with mouthwash, but I don't think I'm ready for "minty-fresh" reptiles, lol) they might actually carry it??? Only a really big operation (like a farm or vet hospital) would need a gallon of any of these disinfectants, they dilute by so much for use.
    Yeah it is in mouthwash. I was going to buy a gallon from Walmart, then I read your post. I doubt I'd go through a gallon diluted. I only have 3 snakes.

Thanks

Yeah it is in mouthwash. I was going to buy a gallon from Walmart, then I read your post. I doubt I'd go through a gallon diluted. I only have 3 snakes.
    It would lose effectiveness over time, sitting for so long as it took you to use it- so like me, you're much better off buying a smaller (16 oz.) bottle, & only dilute enough to use within a few months.

Some years ago, when I had a LOT more snakes than I do now, I bought Nolvasan by the gallon*. I also use it for cleaning my rodents, & back then I also had a huge # of rats, mice & hamsters- I actually had a side business selling surplus rodents, & for some years I had 85-90 snakes in my (larger) house. The # of snakes varied by the season, since most rescues that I took in were in the summer (typically wayward rattlesnakes, most of which were able to go back to the wild). Anyway, even THEN it took a long time for me to go thru a gallon of Nolvasan.

*that was so long ago that it was only about $30 per gallon...now Nolvasan is roughly $108 for a gallon! Nolvasan is a trade name for what is essentially chlorhexidine, though it is said that there is also some small chemical difference that enhances the effectiveness & therefore justifies their higher price, but i can't swear to it?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-17-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12