Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,944

0 members and 2,944 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

F10 veterinarian disinfectant

I have heard mixed reviews ( almost all good). Does the product contain anything harmful to skin and eyes or anything like that. Any input on the product is greatly appreciated thank you.
    Last edited by Rollingthunder1; 12-13-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks

F10 veterinarian disinfectant

Does anybody use this product? Is it more harmful than advertised? Any input appreciated! Also does it expire after being diluted?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I think you mean "veterinary" disinfectant? At least I've never heard of anyone having to disinfect their veterinarian? Mine have always been pretty clean...

But seriously , I've used F10, Nolvasan, & generic chlorhexidine for many years. They are designed to kill 'germs' & many germs are harmless, even necessary to
    life, so none of these products belong on your skin (& certainly not in anyone's eyes) for any length of time. When properly diluted for wiping cages, I don't feel the
    need to wear gloves, as very little contacts anything other than my paper towels, but you should avoid saturating your skin. And they don't belong in or on the hands
    of children, goes without saying (I hope). If you read the precautions on the label for any of these excellent products, they also pose a risk to wildlife, so you want
    to take care how you dispose of surplus. Basically, used as directed (& diluted as directed) all are very safe, & need no rinsing from the cages...but please don't bathe
    in any of them, & you'll be fine. (FYI, chlorhexidine is used in mouthwashes...but humans are much bigger than most of our pets, & mouthwash has other ingredients,
    & isn't designed to be swallowed anyway.)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: F10 veterinarian disinfectant

Search the site for F10. It's been talked about a lot.

I use the F10SC religiously. In proper dilution, it takes 5-10 minutes to clean the tank and kill most germs.

I think it lasts 2 years + in concentrate and 6 months in dilution. Never lasts that long here, LOL, with 13 tanks.

I use paper in all my tanks and the routine is remove the paper, spray F10SC, let sit for 10 minutes, wipe it up, and good to go. It also forms a barrier on glass and PVC, etc. to help protect and kill germs on contact.

I will say it does little for smells. I use Healthy Habitat to get rid of odor after using the F10SC.

In the proper concentration, F10SC is safe, and the Healthy Habitat is non-toxic and not concentrated, but a little goes a long way.

https://www.reptilebasics.com/F10SC-200ml

https://www.reptilebasics.com/healthy-habitat-gallon

Reptile Basics is out of stock currently, but google it, and you will find many other places that have in stock now.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (12-14-2019),Sonny1318 (12-14-2019)

Thanks

Next time, wait for a response instead of starting a new thread 20 minutes later, in a different section. Keeps the site from getting cluttered.

Moderators - can we merge please?

In the meantime, I responded on your other thread.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...n-disinfectant

Also, I am sensitive to chemicals and in proper dilution, causes zero issues for me, even if if I get on my hands. I do wash after cleaning tanks, however.
    Last edited by dakski; 12-13-2019 at 11:05 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-13-2019),jmcrook (12-13-2019),PitOnTheProwl (12-14-2019)

Thanks

Thank you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rollingthunder1 View Post
    Thank you
    You are welcome.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries
    (Two threads on the same topic merged.)
    - Emily

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-14-2019),dakski (12-14-2019),dr del (12-14-2019),PitOnTheProwl (12-14-2019)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Search the site for F10. It's been talked about a lot.

I use the F10SC religiously. In proper dilution, it takes 5-10 minutes to clean the tank and kill most germs.

I think it lasts 2 years + in concentrate and 6 months in dilution. Never lasts that long here, LOL, with 13 tanks.

I use paper in all my tanks and the routine is remove the paper, spray F10SC, let sit for 10 minutes, wipe it up, and good to go. It also forms a barrier on glass and PVC, etc. to help protect and kill germs on contact.

I will say it does little for smells. I use Healthy Habitat to get rid of odor after using the F10SC.

In the proper concentration, F10SC is safe, and the Healthy Habitat is non-toxic and not concentrated, but a little goes a long way.

https://www.reptilebasics.com/F10SC-200ml

https://www.reptilebasics.com/healthy-habitat-gallon

Reptile Basics is out of stock currently, but google it, and you will find many other places that have in stock now.
    This^^^.
    Its all I use and thank you Dakski for mentioning the other product. I think I’ll try it for the smell. The whole upstairs of my house and down to the bottom of the stairs stinks for a hour after one of them goes to the bathroom... wife and kids do not like it especially when Im at work and cleaning has to wait. Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I only have one tank, one snake. I have always (after getting out the substrate thoroughly) took and wiped down the inside walls and bottom with wet Lysol type (DG brand) wipes. I do one or 2 sections at a time and wipe it immediately dry with a paper towel while it is still wet till it is completely dry. I have never had a health problem or (neurological reaction) in any snake I have had whether it be ri or mites. But my question is does the stuff used for Lysol wipes have a more long term possible health risk to my snake. I know F10 is a good product and well liked by the reptile community, but I'd like to hear about what I do and what some of you think of how I do it and since I only have one tank will what I do work OK so far it has.

PS I have always been impressed by how Lysol works after spraying it when I was a teenager in a barn and seeing it clear up cats funky, horrible eyes mucus filled eyes.

I don't really need comments like oh I think that stuff must be bad. I want answers from people who know chemicals and are pretty knowledgeable about what chemicals shouldn't be used around a snake. Thank You.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast