Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,107

0 members and 2,107 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Breeding Genetics tips?

I'm interested in eventually breeding one day, but something I'd really like to understand more is genetics and my tools available. I've been looking around an found the morph calculator on MorphMarket, is this an actually relatable tool, or should I do my own Punett Squares? What do you guys use?

I'm also super interested in breeding Albino Bloods (Red Dragons). Are you able to only breed snakes that are double het, or would bbn I be able to use an Albino het blood to an albino het blood. Would something like an Albino Blood to an Albino blood really only produce more albino bloods? Using the calculator on morph market to come up with these.

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: Breeding Genetics tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Kornmeal View Post
    I'm interested in eventually breeding one day, but something I'd really like to understand more is genetics and my tools available. I've been looking around an found the morph calculator on MorphMarket, is this an actually relatable tool, or should I do my own Punett Squares? What do you guys use?

I'm also super interested in breeding Albino Bloods (Red Dragons). Are you able to only breed snakes that are double het, or would bbn I be able to use an Albino het blood to an albino het blood. Would something like an Albino Blood to an Albino blood really only produce more albino bloods? Using the calculator on morph market to come up with these.
    There isn't a great morph calculator for alot the double recessive genes.
    Yes you would produce a visual from a pair of albino het blood, as you have both recessive genes in there.
    I've got a pair of normals 100% het Berry blood and 100%het kahl and a pair of hypo jungles 100%het Berry blood and 100%het for kahl. I can't wait till next when the first pair are old enough to breed

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Hi Kornmeal! Welcome to the ball-pythons.net forums!

The Genetics Home Reference is a pdf file that can be downloaded. It is among the best genetics files on line, IMO. https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer

I like the Punnett square for single gene pairs, and the fork-line method for multiple gene pairs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punnett_square

I am not familiar with the blood mutant gene. However, if albino blood parents both have two albino genes in one gene pair and two blood genes in a second gene pair, then all their babies will be albino bloods.

Always willing to talk genetics, but I'm on a public computer and must log off.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

dr del (12-14-2019),Kornmeal (12-14-2019),richardhind1972 (12-14-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Both blood and albino are recessive traits.
    For the Horde!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

paulh (12-14-2019),richardhind1972 (12-14-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kornmeal View Post

I'm also super interested in breeding Albino Bloods (Red Dragons). Are you able to only breed snakes that are double het, or would I be able to use an Albino het blood to an albino het blood. Would something like an Albino Blood to an Albino blood really only produce more albino bloods? Using the calculator on morph market to come up with these.
    I checked the morphmaket.com calculator. I does not do the normal/boawoman caramel/Sharp albino set of alleles correctly. I doubt that it does any set of multiple alleles correctly. Very few of the calculators do. Multiple alleles are considerably harder to program using a Punnett square algorithm than a set of two alleles. I'm so used to doing much of this stuff either in my head or in my head assisted by paper and pencil that I don't pay much attention to the calculators. IMO, people should learn to do this sort of thing both with and without an online calculator.

I figure there are 9 ways to produce an albino blood baby:
    albino, blood x albino, blood
    albino, blood x albino, het blood
    albino, het blood x albino, het blood
    albino, blood x het albino, blood
    albino, blood x het albino, het blood
    albino, het blood x het albino, het blood
    het albino, blood x het albino, blood
    het albino, blood x het albino, het blood
    het albino, het blood x het albino, het blood

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

dr del (12-14-2019),Kornmeal (12-14-2019),richardhind1972 (12-14-2019)