Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,249

1 members and 2,248 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Bubbling scales on the belly?

So my girl just shed, it admittedly wasn't a very good shed but I carefully peeled off the shed on her and I think I got it all.
    But then a few days later I noticed this. These scales on her belly near her rear look like their bubbling up. And some spots on her belly are pink even though she shed.
    It this just some shed that I missed or something else? A burn maybe?
    I would like some insight, please and thank you.

Thanks

Re: Bubbling scales on the belly?

Are you using a UTH and if so is it connected to a thermostat

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2019)

Thanks
    Yes, it is a heatmat but it's not connected to a thermostat, was never a problem before.

Thanks

Well, upon doing a little research, I now see just how important that is. I'm pretty upset no one has told me about this in the 5 years I've had my snake, even people who know snakes that helped me get my enclosure set up failed to mention this so I've never heard of it before.
    I ordered one and will take her to a vet once I get it set up.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elitedog View Post
    Yes, it is a heatmat but it's not connected to a thermostat, was never a problem before.
    Just because there's never been a problem doesn't mean there won't be. You can get one for $30. It's honestly irresponsible to keep animals without providing proper care.

Quote Originally Posted by Elitedog View Post
    Well, upon doing a little research, I now see just how important that is. I'm pretty upset no one has told me about this in the 5 years I've had my snake, even people who know snakes that helped me get my enclosure set up failed to mention this so I've never heard of it before.
    I ordered one and will take her to a vet once I get it set up.
    I'm sorry, but it's your pet, your responsibility to do research. It's nobody else's job care for your pet. A quick Google search on snake husbandry will show countless sources which talk about the importance of a thermostat. Just reading a care sheet or two isn't doing proper research (not implying that's what you did,I just see it way too often).
    We owe it to our animals to provide proper care. They don't get a choice and rely 100% on us for their survival.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

LacyBP (12-12-2019)

Thanks

Look, I feel bad enough already. Ya, I messed up and apparently talked to the wrong people. Over the past 5 years I've seen many people talk about their snakes and enclosures and I do not recall them once mentioning a thermostat.
    Thankfully, she's not bleeding anywhere and I'm going to keep an eye on her heatpad more often, unplug it when it gets too hot. Or maybe I'll just use my heatlamp and unplug the pad all together.
    I'll just have to keep this up for about 2 weeks till the stuff gets here. I ordered a thermostat, a heatgun and Betadine Solution to help treat her if necessary.
    I know your right, I'm just upset at myself.
    Last edited by PitOnTheProwl; 12-12-2019 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Laguage

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    Burns are very painful & serious on snakes- it would be best to stop using this UTH until it's properly regulated, as there's just no way to "watch" it that will work.

Vet visit recommended for your snake, & btw. heat lamps need controlled too...at least get a lamp dimmer (aka rheostat) from the nearest hardware store...they are
    not expensive. And assuming you have the means to accurately measure the temps. in the cage, test the dimmed lamp while you're home as to what setting (on the
    dimmer) produces safe & adequate warmth. (You can buy a lamp dimmer already installed on an extension cord...that's the easiest, just plug your lamp into it & use
    the control, usually a rotary dial or a slider, to adjust.)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    If you can not get your snake to a vet quickly, Mountainside Medical will sell silvadene (silver sulfadiazine) online w/o a prescription. It is better for snake burns than the petroleum-gel based antibiotic ointments.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2019),dr del (12-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    If you can not get your snake to a vet quickly, Mountainside Medical will sell silvadene (silver sulfadiazine) online w/o a prescription. It is better for snake burns than the petroleum-gel based antibiotic ointments.
    Yes, I also highly recommend using Silvadene (silver sulfadiazine) for this issue; I've had no snakes with burns but have used this for another skin issue on a rescued boa- it's well worth getting your hands on this product for your snake's healing.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-11-2019 at 11:46 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

I'll see if i can pick up a dimmer and call the vet later today.
    Few more questions before I do though, will just a heatlamp be okay for a ball python, just for maybe a week or 2? The area the lamp is heating is at 32'C.
    And also, I never actually got a clear answer on this, but it is in fact a burn on her?
    Last edited by Elitedog; 12-12-2019 at 07:45 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast