Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,212

2 members and 3,210 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...thon-CARESHEET

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ips-and-Tricks

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-With-Pictures!

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ing-Guidelines

These links should help. They detail some of the basics.

In the future, please do proper research BEFORE bringing an animal home. It's our responsibility as pet keepers to know what we're doing BEFORE bringing an animal home. The animal doesn't get a choice and relies 100% on us to care for them.

A basic Google search for less than 5 minutes brings up plenty of links that all discuss temp gradients and basic husbandry.

So please start doing some homework so your snake can have the life it deserves.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-13-2019)

Thanks

Re: Advice needed regarding my BP please.

Thanks, but excuse you, I did do my "research", this just happens to be a hiccup. Please stop talking to others as if they're stupid and inferior to you. stuff happens, doesn't mean I'm not well educated about MY animal.
    Last edited by dr del; 12-14-2019 at 12:53 AM. Reason: removing accidental censor trip

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    From what I read, it sounds like your main issue is humidity. The squeaky noise or however you described it is most likely from being too dry it can cause almost a whistle sound as they breath and the bad shed is an obvious indicator as well. It makes sense that it would be too dry with your setup, it is near impossible to keep good humidity with a screen top. I would recommend blocking most of the screen with plexiglass or something similar and leave just a small area for air exchange. Watch your temps after doing this because it will most likely keep the enclosure warmer as well because with an open screen top you are constantly losing warm air. Just keep an eye on it and adjust as necessary until you have your temps dialed in again. Then to keep your humidity up just add a little water to the substrate weekly or as needed. You do this and next shed will be perfect. The noise when breathing should clear up quickly as well. Good luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

snakemom24 (12-13-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakemom24 View Post
    Any suggestions are welcome, preferably ones who have bp's, themselves. Thank you
    Apparently not. You literally said "any suggestions welcome". Soooo...

I kindly took the time to share links with you....

...and this is how you show appreciation???

Thanks, but excuse you, I did do my "research", this just happens to be a hiccup. Please stop talking to others as if they're stupid and inferior to you. stuff happens, doesn't mean I'm not well educated about MY animal.
    My reply was polite, informative and helpful. Also true. The most basic of research shows that pretty much every species of snake in the hobby requires a temp gradient. It's literally "Snake Keeping 101"

It's not a "hiccup", it's a lack of preparation. It's on EVERY caresheet there is, including the one I linked from this forum. And this one.....
    http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care...s/Ball-Python/
    ...and this one....
    https://www.bhbreptiles.com/pages/ba...hon-care-sheet
    ...and this one...
    https://www.petco.com/content/petco/...ll-python.html
    ...and this one....
    http://www.avianandexotic.com/care-s...s/ball-python/

Those were the FIRST FIVE I opened, ALL FIVE discuss themp gradient. It took all of five minutes to research.

I didn't call anybody "stupid" or "inferior"... Those are your words. I'm just trying to help.
    Last edited by dr del; 12-14-2019 at 12:53 AM. Reason: matching quote to edited post

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-13-2019),OkamiFlautist (12-13-2019)

Thanks

You're no longer trying to help, now you're just being a moofy. And yes, it is just a hiccup because he has been perfectly fine since March when I bought him. Hasn't had a problem until just recently, and I believe the power outage was the contributing factor on that. Which says that I have been caring for him just fine without a "temp gradient". There are much worse things people do to their animals. Thanks for your help, you're dismissed.

@rufretic Somebody helpful, finally! Thank you so much!
    Last edited by dr del; 12-14-2019 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Edit to avoid censor bypass

9. The Following User Says Thank You to snakemom24 For This Useful Post:

rufretic (12-13-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

You're no longer trying to help, now you're just being a moofy. And yes, it is just a hiccup because he has been perfectly fine since March when I bought him. Hasn't had a problem until just recently, and I believe the power outage was the contributing factor on that. Which says that I have been caring for him just fine without a "temp gradient". There are much worse things people do to their animals. Thanks for your help, you're dismissed.

@rufretic Somebody helpful, finally! Thank you so much!
    Look, I'm trying to help. And when people say they've done research but don't know the most basic of husbandry requirements it makes me question what else was missed?

If you did research you would have known about a temp gradient. You literally can't read about snake care without seeing a mention of a gradient. It's literally on every care sheet. And care sheets are just a stepping stone to learning. They only scratch the surface.

And I'm sorry, but just because the snake seems healthy isn't a guarantee. They're extremely good at hiding illness. And if the snake has been kept for 8+ months in an enclosure without something as basic as a temp gradient the animal could be hiding illness. I'm not saying that's the case, but I'm saying it could be and you would have no way of knowing.

If you really want help you'll be open to the fact that you didn't do enough research and be more than willing to provide the following info so we can see if anything else was missed. I'm sorry if some questions were answered elsewhere, but for the sake of helping you I'll be thorough.

How old is the animal? How much does it weigh?

What size and type of enclosure?

How are you heating the enclosure?

Are you heat sources regulated by a thermostat?

What are your temps? Where and how are you measuring?

What is your humidity?

What substrate are you using?

Are there at least two appropriately sized hides?

What size prey are you feeding? How often?

Starting with these questions will help us help you.
    Last edited by dr del; 12-14-2019 at 12:55 AM. Reason: editing quote to reflect admin edit

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-13-2019),OkamiFlautist (12-13-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    I've taken the time to share links and ask follow up questions. So, no, not being a smart guy. I'm actually trying to help. Hopefully you see that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-13-2019)

Thanks

Probably restless because it’s in a 20 gallon tank. Imo that’s WAY too small

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I don't have anything to monitor the cold side? It's just as is? Also, I forgot to mention that he did just shed a few days ago, but I don't think it was the best, as he still had a few pieces left on the back of his neck. Just a day prior to him shedding, we had a storm and lost power for 2 days and had to stick adhesive warmers under the tank. Not sure if that is a factor or not. Also, can someone send me a picture of their successful husbandry habits, just so I have an idea if mine is okay or not.
    I’ve had my spider for years without issues. If you’d like feel free to message me if you want to avoid people chiming in with bs. Although I think everyone here follows the predominant care sheets so... I’d just go off that. Idk if you’ve changed tank size but a 20 gallon is too small. I’ve noticed my bp will become restless if my apartment gets too warm. It could be that your UTH is heating the entire enclosure to the hot spot temp because it’s too small. Just an idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

snakemom24 (12-14-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12