Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,166

2 members and 3,164 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Advice needed regarding my BP please.

I have a spider ball python that is a little over a year and a half who seems uncomfortable all the time. Constantly roaming, occasionally making squeak noises, and up until just a few days ago, he stopped eating. His heating pad is always at the correct temp, but I have been having issues maintaining his humidity. There are no signs of respiratory infection (snot, having his mouth open, etc) and I just don't know what is wrong. Possibly his husbandry? I believe he's in a 20 gal tank with a mesh top. I have the same size hut (large) on each side and a water bowl inbetween, but closer to the cold side. We use eco earth for substrate. Is there a better way to set up his enclosure if that's wrong? I have no idea what to do for him. Any suggestions are welcome, preferably ones who have bp's, themselves. Thank you

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What are your exact temps?

How big is he and what size prey do you feed and how frequently?

Are your hides tight, like a shell fitting a turtle's back?
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Advice needed regarding my BP please.

Not sure about exact temps right now as I am not home, but it's usually 78 to 81. Not sure how to explain how big he is, but he's around 3.5 feet long and almost as thick as a pop can, but not quite. His hides are not tight like a turtle shell because I can see he has some room (especially above him), but he bulges his body thru the opening of his hut? He eats small/medium rats every week and a half or so.
    Last edited by snakemom24; 12-11-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakemom24 View Post
    Not sure about exact temps right now as I am not home, but it's usually 78 to 81. Not sure how to explain how big he is, but he's around 3.5 feet long and almost as thick as a pop can, but not quite. His hides are not tight like a turtle shell because I can see he has some room (especially above him), but he bulges his body thru the opening of his hut? He eats small/medium rats every week and a half or so.
    are those temps consistent throughout the cage, or do you have a warm side as well. they need a temperature gradient, and the range you provided would be ok for the cooler side. warm side temps should be between 86-90(ish)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to oropher101 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-11-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oropher101 View Post
    are those temps consistent throughout the cage, or do you have a warm side as well. they need a temperature gradient, and the range you provided would be ok for the cooler side. warm side temps should be between 86-90(ish)
    Actually considering it is a Spider I would recommend 86/88 no higher , spider do better when cooler but not cool to the extent of what it is being kept at either.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-11-2019),Sonny1318 (12-12-2019),vivi (04-03-2020)

Thanks

Excuse me, wrong temps for wrong snake. Currently his warm side is 85 and is usually 85-88.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Actually considering it is a Spider I would recommend 86/88 no higher , spider do better when cooler but not cool to the extent of what it is being kept at either.
    I did not know this, thanks for the info!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Excuse me, wrong temps for wrong snake. Currently his warm side is 85 and is usually 85-88.
    Do you havee a temp gradient? You're only listing one temp. There should be a gradient so the snake can thermoregulate as needed. The cool side should be 78ish and the hot spot should typically be 87-88.
    I wasn't aware spiders did better with a cooler hot spot (no spiders in my crew) but I can say that Deb is extremely trustworthy so I would follow her advice.

Thanks

I don't have anything to monitor the cold side? It's just as is? Also, I forgot to mention that he did just shed a few days ago, but I don't think it was the best, as he still had a few pieces left on the back of his neck. Just a day prior to him shedding, we had a storm and lost power for 2 days and had to stick adhesive warmers under the tank. Not sure if that is a factor or not. Also, can someone send me a picture of their successful husbandry habits, just so I have an idea if mine is okay or not.
    Last edited by snakemom24; 12-12-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks

I don't have anything to monitor the cold side? It's just as is? Also, I forgot to mention that he did just shed a few days ago, but I don't think it was the best, as he still had a few pieces left on the back of his neck. Just a day prior to him shedding, we had a storm and lost power for 2 days and had to stick adhesive warmers under the tank. Not sure if that is a factor or not. Also, can someone send me a picture of their successful husbandry habits, just so I have an idea if mine is okay or not.
    You need to monitor the cold side as well, yes. Ball pythons have rather tight temp requirements. Cold side needs to be around 80f, or it can get too cold.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast