Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,930

2 members and 2,928 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question Is It Absolutely 100% Necessary to Have a Heat Mat/Pad?

Hello,

I am generally new to owning my ball python and would love other peoples opinion on this. I would estimate my snake at about 4-5 month old and I want what is best for her so she can live a long, healthy life. As of right now, she has no heating pad. Instead I use a 100 watt basking bulb during the day and a 100 watt infrared light at night. On the cool side of her 40 breeder habitat the temperature stays at a constant 75 degrees throughout the day. The ambient temperature on the hotter end averages at about 85 degrees with a hot spot at 90 directly below the light. I have done a ton of research looking into this topic and have come to a realization: It is best to have a heat pad for ball pythons. I get it. I understand. However, I am one of those people who worry about everything when it comes to taking care of animals and I have read of the horrors of people accidentally cooking their snake or starting a house fire with them. The stand that her tank currently sits on will allow zero ventilation so I fear that I will end up in the same boat as these people.
    Although there is no belly heat for my snake, I like to think that the current heating situation is the best that I could possibly make it. During most of the day, she likes to sleep in her hide (one of those logs with an opening on each end that are popular to see in most pet shops). The hot spot from the basking light is directly in front of the opening to this hide to provide the most temperature to the inside of where she likes to sleep. I've ran some tests and found that the average temperature on the inside is roughly 82-84 degrees.
    So... Is this okay? Will she be fine? Or will it truly make that much of a difference to where I absolutely need to get a pad?

Thanks
    You don’t need a heat pad. Might be an unpopular opinion around here, but you don’t. None of my snakes have belly heat. (Burm, a ball, and a Suriname boa). Eventually they will all be radiant heat panels over head. For now the burm and the ball are utilizing heat lamps with ceramic heat emitters. Get some. The red light is said to bother them because they can see it. You don’t need Uv or anything so you can use the che 24/7. I compensate a little for the hide, so I let me surface temps outside of the hide get to 92ish. Also get better hides. Those half logs are said to be not great. Point of the hide is for the snake to feel hidden and secure. Those just aren’t going to do it. Your cool side is too low. Ideally you want 78-80. No less than 76 for sure. I don’t let mine get under 77.

my burm is in a 40 gal breeder cage right now too. I have 2 lamps. Both controlled by a herpstat. Cool side is at 80 warm side 88-90 air temps, about 91 floor temps outside of hide. I use 2 100 watt Che’s. Amazon has them cheaper than any store will more than likely. Paid I think $6 for mine.

I haven’t used belly heat in over 12 years. Mainly radiant heat panels. In a pinch right now that’s why I have heat lamps. Waiting on the burms animal plastics cage to get here. Already have the rhp for it. Ball I got the cage yesterday and all put together. But it’s the daughters snake and a Xmas present so it has to wait for that. Needs to air out from the sealant anyways. In all the years of not using belly heat, on anything from 3’ ball pythons, to 7’ boas, to a 13’ Burmese python...never had a regurge...never had an RI.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waterman For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (12-11-2019),Steelers_Republic (12-11-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's not about how you provide heat it's about providing proper temperatures, some people do not used UTH or lamp at all they just keep their room warmer when they have a dedicated snake room and a lot of animals.

Sp what is the difference? Some heat methods are more efficient than others (obviously heat goes up)

Your goal if you provide a temp gradient is to have a hot spot of at least 86/88 if not your BP may stop feeding and get stressed.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (12-11-2019)

Thanks

Re: Is It Absolutely 100% Necessary to Have a Heat Mat/Pad?

What they said above...

I would only caution that lights will suck the humidity right out of an enclosure, which is why folks will use a heat padand/or other heating elements more often than not. As long as you're staying on top of that and providing the correct heat gradients, no worries!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-11-2019),Steelers_Republic (12-11-2019)